Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EuroGA ZOOM video lounge

I’d like another quiz, they were lots of fun.
Also I suggest to switch to Google Meet. Works flawlessly and is free.

always learning
LO__, Austria

The biggest thing is that “somebody” has to prepare the quizes

Zoom functionality is absolutely fine and almost everybody has got it.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Apart from the fact that zoom turns off every 40 minutes and everybody has to logon again, not very practical.

always learning
LO__, Austria

I am not sure… even when EuroGA was paying the £14/month so Zoom didn’t log out, the above usage pattern was practically identical.

If anything, it was clear that most people quietly appreciate the 40 min logout because it provides a convenient opportunity to disappear without having to say anything

I also didn’t think the £14/m was a good use of peoples’ generous donations to run our forum. It isn’t a lot but it isn’t insignificant. If the video meetups were reasonably active, I would pay it.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

“somebody” has to prepare the quizes

I’d be happy to contribute a round of 10 questions. Dublinpilot obviously did a lot of work on the previous quizzes and it might be an idea to share it out..?

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

The more quizzes we have, the harder it is to come up with new questions. The photos aren’t too hard, but they obviously favour those who travel more, so it’s good to have some general knowledge questions too that are more accessible to all. But they are very hard to come up with. Particularly so questions that aren’t easily googleable. We also have to come up with some prizes too.

But even if we managed another quiz, it’s only one evening. That’s not going to make the zoom meetings get off the ground again.

Maybe something we should consider is having a particular topic for discussion, BUT WITHOUT a presenter. Presentations create a lot of effort for one person. But what if we picked a topic and had an open discussion on it.

For example, what if we picked weather briefing. Each participant COULD but would NOT be required to, give a brief tip or comment. It would be something short, maybe 1 to 3 minutes but certainly no more than 5 minute. It might be a rule of thumb that someone passed on to you that you’ve found unusually accurate or helpful. It might simply be letting others know your favourite briefing site/chart/forecast.
If you have multiple points you’d like to contribute you can chip in with a second one once each participant who wanted to speak has gotten a turn.
That acts as a primer. After that the conversation could flow like in a bar. No turns, interruptions ok, counterpoints accepted, questions etc.
The multiple brief comments by participants acting as a sort of primer for conversation but taking very little work compared to a big presentation by one person.

Other examples could be:
Getting an IR
Getting a PPL
Buying an aircraft
Selling an aircraft
How to get the most out of a revalidation flight.
Or maybe we could just discuss the latest hot topic on the forum that week.

We could even discuss non-aviation themes such as the war in Ukraine or whatever the latest story dominating the media is.

My suggestion basically is that rather than having a “Let’s see what conversation starts in the meeting”, we actually plan a particular topic, and publish it a few days before the meeting.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

14th Feb 2023
Topic: VFR Flying in France
This refers

Administrator

I’d like to join this. Havn’t been to France since Covid. Is the invite the same one as at the beginning of this thread?

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

Can french people participate to the quiz? :D

LFMD, France

Yes and yes

Administrator
Sign in to add your message