Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Bees on airfields

Very cool project. Great to read about it. :-)

EDDS , Germany

It’s great to see such projects especially after recent sad event in Croatia with misuse of some pesticide which resulted in death of more than 50 million bees :(

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir wrote:

recent sad event in Croatia with misuse of some pesticide which resulted in death of more than 50 million bees

I read about it; hopefully the awareness will grow in the agricultural community and beekeepers and farmers will figure out a way to work together. It’s a super complex problem; even though some cultures aren’t toxic at all, the fact that they are ubiquitous gives the bees an unbalanced diet and malnutrition problems arise.

So far airfields have been ideal spots with acres and acres of green pastures and no intensive agriculture in the immediate vicinity. Now the challenge is to figure out a way to make this work in the long run :-)

A few hives for LFCK :-)

It is great to see this project being still alive! How is everything going?

Bees on airports seem to be a thing now- did you know that many large German airports have “official bees” for monitoring purposes? Hamburg even offers its airport honey in the local shops. They say they have been producing about 150kg per year since 1999. I can’t tell whether that is a large amount, but to me that sounds impressive.
Other airports doing this seem to be Frankfurt and Stuttgart, but also smaller ones like Dortmund.

Anyway, what I was going to ask is this: Does an airfield need to provide a beekeeper? Generally, how do you tend to the bees? Do you visit all bee fields according a schedule?
I like this project very much and would like to suggest participation at my field, but people are going to ask questions like this.

EDXN, ETMN, Germany

It is going quite all right so far. Airfields are great places for the honeybees thanks to the large pastures that provide food year-long (vs. areas with agricultural crops where the bees feast on rapeseed for 2 weeks then stare at the plowed land). We actually collected some honey today; 40kg in Graulhet (LFCQ). The amount of honey produced this year is really low because we focused on splitting the colonies to increase the stock.

There are sometimes initial friction to set up the hives, because we need a written agreement and even though the local airfield / airport manager is enthusiast about the project, getting a written approval can get a bit complicated (especially with the airfields owned by the local towns because this year was an election year).

Once the hives are set up, they drive a lot of interest and most of the time local airfields users ask to join for the inspections – we always have a spare bee suit for this specific purpose (and a kid-sized one as well).

To answer your questions a bit more specifically:

• The airfield does not need to provide a beekeeper. All we need to get started is a spot to put the hive, within reasonable distance of the GA parking (waiving the landing fee is appreciated – so far all the airfields have offered it without us asking).
  • We are constantly adjusting our playbook to minimize the need for a physical visit of the hives:
    • we built a mobile app to collect all the observations made on the colonies. These observations are then aggregated to better plan the next visit.
    • we are experimenting with a low-cost way to detect queen failures early on: most of our queens sport a RFID tag on their back; an antenna then counts how many time per day they cross the center of the hive, and we use that data to detect disasters (that’s really a research project at this point).
  • For now we are planning to visit the colonies 5 times a year, indeed according to a schedule (first visit at the end of Winter; a visit in the end of Spring to collect honey / add supers; a visit at the end of Summer to perform varroa treatment & collect honey / winterize the colonies; and one more visit provisioned for some kind of disaster event; there always are problems ..).

Last week we made 90 new swarms for 2021. Most queens have been correctly accepted so these swarms will winter in LFCQ and be dispatched in Spring 2021 to the participating airfields.

Then at some point we’ll need to figure out how to balance all this from an economic standpoint, but for now the plan is to scale the project to 30 airfields and see how the logistics pan out.

@wleferrand what a great update, very inspiring. Good to see an Aztruck being put to such good use.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

This year’s production is pretty small (very much expected as we started the season with tiny swarms) but it is finally in jars!

LFCQ:

LFCL:

Now it’s time to prepare everybody for winter and to start planning for 2021.

There is a little fb page with updates for those interested.

Cheers!

Last Edited by wleferrand at 03 Aug 07:46

How do you sell the honey ?

LFOU, France

What a wonderful hobby and such a great activity! I always bring a jar of local honey from places I travel to.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message