Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Bees on airfields

A presentation by Bodmin Airfield (SW England) in making your airfield bee-friendly: link

Nympsfield, United Kingdom

I haven’t been posting much lately but the colonies are still alive & kicking. Some even benefit from the local supervision of the airfield firemen, such as here in LFBF – seeing people stepping in and involving themselves in the project is the best reward I could get.

wleferrand wrote:

we are experimenting with a low-cost way to detect queen failures early on: most of our queens sport a RFID tag on their back; an antenna then counts how many time per day they cross the center of the hive, and we use that data to detect disasters (that’s really a research project at this point).

wleferrand wrote:

a mobile app called “happiaries” and even a device to track a parasite called varroa

Very high-tech beekeeping.

ESMK, Sweden

Any news on this project @wleferrand?

Just watched a documentary on arte about 🐝 in Slovenia. Apis Carnica is the only permitted variety, and they have the highest percentage of beekeepers per capita in the world. Interestingly, Ljubljana now has too many bees and yield per hive has halved in the last decade.

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Hi,

Most unfortunately I had to shut down this project, I failed at building a team around it and it was just too much for a one-man show. It was fun though!

Cheers
wlf

Shame, I enjoyed reading about it. Hopefully it’s raised awareness; I might think about getting a beehive …

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom
76 Posts
Sign in to add your message