Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

Fuji_Abound wrote:

Unfortunately I am forming the impression some Governments have forgotten this.

Absolutely agree with you here. Our own (German) government seems so lost in making up random “incidence limits” that they seem to have forgotten why they are making them and what for.

From the frontline of health care in N. Germany, I can report that our hospital is running basically business as usual for several weeks now. Occasionally, surgery that requires post-operative ICU or IMC beds will be delayed by a few days, but that’s about it. We’ve all gotten much more relaxed at handling Covid cases now that everybody of the frontline staff has been vaccinated twice.

For the “civilians”, the vaccination efforts are going on much too slow, however, and very clumsy. Organisationally, the UK seems to be much ahead in that department, I think from reading the posts of some fellow pilots on this thread who got vaccinated recently.

Last Edited by MedEwok at 27 Feb 12:07
Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

172driver wrote:

Actually, bright brainer. And traded data. Much, much more than what the dumbass EU politicians led by a bunch of morons like Merkel, Van der Leyen and Macron could even dream of.

Nothing to add…

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

There appears to have been a climb-down in Brussels over the “useless” AZ vaccine.

Earlier, in another report I saw, Germany was going to vaccinate government workers with the AZ vaccine – because almost nobody else wanted it.

And this great news has just appeared. I can’t this on a better site right now, that isn’t behind a paywall. It shows the AZ vaccine is highly effective on a 1st dose in preventing serious disease and is slightly better than Pfizer. This must be the data which France and Germany saw and which led to the climbdown.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

This morning, still only the Daily Trash has this story. Prob99 it is being kept off the news because – as some recent data shows – those who had the 1st dose thought they were immune, and there was a spike in infections among them

The numbers of “old” people (who have nearly all been vacced now) going into hospital has dropped to nearly zero, so this is an amazing result.

The underlying data would have been shared with mainland Europe, however, hence the turn-around there.

A lot of BAME people are refusing it – including many health workers (the UK NHS has many BAME workers in it). There are said to be 3-4 main stories behind that, and some of it is coming via social media from churches in African and Asian countries.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

And this great news has just appeared. I can’t this on a better site right now, that isn’t behind a paywall

The BMJ source isn’t though: https://www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.n523 (and probably doesn’t include a jingoistic diatribe such as the Daily Mail are rather prone to doing :-))

Last Edited by alioth at 28 Feb 09:15
Andreas IOM

That may be the older one, based on Scottish data. Yesterday was the England data.

Indeed the DM lingo is, ahem, in line with their normal narrative But they are not behind a paywall, are very good at digging up stories, and running stuff which due to being non-PC would never be run on the BBC, or would be run in a useless form designed to not upset anybody on earth. And a great deal of policy decisionmaking in this crisis hangs on non-PC issues.

Administrator

That BMJ article is about about the Scottish pre-print I posted a link to several pages back.

Yes, it is good news, but the cherry-picked figure 85%, which forces them to say ‘up to’, was the best number on the chart!

Presumably the Daily Mail has new data?

White Waltham EGLM, United Kingdom

Sorry, crossed with Peter. Must type faster :-)

White Waltham EGLM, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

It shows the AZ vaccine is highly effective on a 1st dose in preventing serious disease and is slightly better than Pfizer. This must be the data which France and Germany saw and which led to the climbdown.

I just hope it makes the round with the other governments before they throw it away or sell it off leaving their citizens unvaccined rather.

At this point with the massive shortages we have, it should be pushed very hard that any viable vaccine with verified results is being put to use. That includes AZ, Sputnik, Johnson/Johnson and whatever else has verified test results. I believe there is also one vaccine out of China which has shown good results, as opposed to another one which has hit the news in Brazil as being quite useless.

I suppose seeing that our politicians appear incapable as well as unwilling to take these steps, massive pressure needs to be exercised to put the fear of loosing their comfortable seats upon them (which for some politician exceeds the normally used “fear of God”) and kick their collective behinds with the frevor of a soccer penalty in the 93rd minute at impasse.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Yes this is new data. Just come out on the radio.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message