Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

Silvaire wrote:

particularly with respect to pointless medical certification.

I’m not talking about the minor issues of medical. I’m talking about the license itself?

How many people have been harmed by airline pilots flying 747 w/o a license? What percentage of ICU beds are blocked by people injured in accidents caused by airline pilots w/o a license?

A Covid vaccination is by orders of magnitude easier to do than an ATPL! (and even w/o having done the maths I bet that given the many flight hours required and the many drives to the airport a vaccination is even by orders of magnitude more safe than doing an ATPL).
License requirements for jobs in aviation are therefore a much worse intrusion to personal freedom than vaccination requirements for medical personnel. If one believes that requiring vaccination or tests to enter restaurants is the end of the free society, this free society has already ended long ago when we introduced driving (or flying) licenses and started to segregate population into those who have one and those who don’t…

Germany

Do you want to live a place where people are forced to inject themselves against their will, or have government controlled digital medical certification to enter buildings? If you do, there is nothing more to discuss.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 26 Aug 15:12

Off_Field wrote:

It also makes vaccine passport requirements to enter shops / restaurants etc rather foolish if both the vaccinated and unvaccinated can be infectious.

Both can be infectious, but it’s a lot less likely that those who are vaccinated are infected.

As I understand the recent research, it is that an infected person who is vaccinated and an infected person who is unvaccinated, will be equally infectious. But the vaccinated person is much less likely to be infected in the first place, and as such much less likely to be infectious.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

dublinpilot wrote:

As I understand the recent research, it is that an infected person who is vaccinated and an infected person who is unvaccinated, will be equally infectious

There is good initial data that the virus load of vaccinated Covid patients (breakthrough infections) is actually lower than that of unvaccinated and hence transmission risk is lower.

Therefore with respect of protecting others, the vaccination has a double effect: First of all the risk of being infected is much lower and second even in the cases where one gets infected despite vaccination the risk one poses on others is lower as well.

Last Edited by Malibuflyer at 26 Aug 15:14
Germany

Silvaire wrote:

It’s a good point. I have to admit I’m not really familiar with ESTA, having never had to do it myself. If I’m not
mistaken I recall seeing people doing it on their tablets in line to check in at the airport, also my wife used to do it (pre-US residency) and never even mentioned it. It didn’t seem to be a practical constraint in the sense that a visa would be..

ESTA is a system where you apply before the trip, you have to pay a fee and the application takes some time to process. For all intents and purposes it is a visa system, although it is certainly a much more convenient system than having an interview at a USA embassy and getting a visa stapled into your passport.

If people have been doing something on their tablets in line to check in it must have been retrieving the ESTA approval to show to the check-in staff. Again, not different from a visa.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

If people have been doing something on their tablets in line to check in it must have been retrieving the ESTA approval to show to the check-in staff.

I’d guess that’s correct. Sounds right to me.

I think the reason I can’t remember anything ESTA related with my now-wife is that we did it once and it lasted a while, multiple trips. You have no idea how much immigration related paperwork came after that, plus the consulate interview you mention, which also dulls my memory. Enough paper that when printed, a low quality desk would break under the weight of it

Last Edited by Silvaire at 26 Aug 15:42

Towards the end of this video, some results showing vaxed people have higher viral load with delta, and on average higher loads than non vaxed.

Next question is : how the heck would we know how the virus spreads among the vaxed ? Here you would need serious symptoms to get tested. While the unvaxed need to get tested to accompagny their better half give birth, take a train or enter a mall (not that I put these acts on the same level of significance).

About freedoms, there is no human right to drive or fly an airplane.
Is there a human right to enter a café, take a train, visit a museum or enter a hospital/retirement house ?
I think nobody thought about writing this anywhere.

Last Edited by Jujupilote at 26 Aug 16:30
LFOU, France

Question: I’m 2-vaxed, i.e. injected. But did it work? I read that a %age don’t get immunity. How, (in Scotland), do I find out? And what immunity is still in me today?
There seem to be many “known unknowns”, and probably also “unknown unknowns”.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom
Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

But did it work? I read that a %age don’t get immunity. How, (in Scotland), do I find out? And what immunity is still in me today?

You can buy a finger prick test. I got one for £60 from medichecks.co.uk.

There are also tests which can tell between antibodies from the vacc and antibodies from an infection. I didn’t get that type but would next time.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message