Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

Peter wrote:

This is OT for coronavirus but you can stabilise or even revert MS by eating “differently”

there are many fairy tale stories about this disease. Eating healthy will be beneficial regardless, and hugely so in many cases, depending on what your diet initially was. It’s all a matter of giving your body the best conditions for fighting off diseases without going into turbo/overload mode. MS is an autoimmune disease. There are many versions of it, and this complicates things. It can for instance stop developing for no apparent reason, and stay so for 10-20 years, or the rest of your life, or it can come back in 10 years with a vengeance. Cause and effect ? nobody knows. It attacks the super healthy just as well as the opposite. The strongest correlation for this disease is in fact geography, it’s not contagious and not inherited.

It wouldn’t surprise me if “long covid” is more or less the same or a similar thing.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

It wouldn’t surprise me if “long covid” is more or less the same or a similar thing.

You mean “Long Covid” could be a result of the immune system reacting to the virus, rather than a direct effect of the virus itself? You might be on to something, although I haven’t yet read any scientific paper supporting this. But it sounds plausible.

Lots of complications of infectious diseases stem from the immune system. Most notably Sepsis is basically an overreaction of the immune system, though arguably the body would be killed regardless if it didn’t “overreact”.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Peter wrote:

Presumably Germany bought up most of the Biontech one, as it is manufactured locally there And that seems to be the best one right now.

It would be a two-part fly-in because you need two doses

Right now, if I had a choice, I’d certainly go for the Biontech vaccine. It has been tested on upwards of 43.000 people with no severe adverse effects. Efficacy of 95% sounds good in comparison. The cooling chain problem should be manageable in Germany itself, though it is problematic in many other regions of the world. This is very much a “first world vaccine”.

Our hospital is getting ready to vaccinate us, the staff, starting December 15, though nobody knows if the vaccine will actually be available by that date.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

The Qantas announcement is just PR nonsense. They regularly make announcements that they fail to follow through on. (Like most politicians) At the moment they are grounded internationally because they choose to be with the current quarantine restrictions imposed by the Australian government.

Last Edited by Ted at 29 Nov 14:56
Ted
United Kingdom

Ted wrote:

At the moment they are grounded internationally because they choose to be with the current quarantine restrictions imposed by the Australian government.

You mean that have chosen not to operate international flights?

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 29 Nov 15:09
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

The Qantas announcement is just PR nonsense

It is right now, because there is no available vaccine anyway

It’s good PR though, as I wrote earlier. It’s a win-win.

Our hospital is getting ready to vaccinate us, the staff, starting December 15

Have they said which vaccine they will use?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Both my wife and I have had Covid, we are both in our mid 70s, healthy and slim, I actually passed my Class2 at the beginning of October.

I’m embarrassed that I didn’t pick it up earlier, we both had aches, I thought it was because I had lifted something as I was doing a heavy workshop job at the time and my wife thought she had pulled her back playing golf, then my nose tingled, then my throat was swollen, each lasted two to three days. Probably the most severe symptom was tiredness. We regularly took temperatures and never went above 36.3c. I looked at the NHS Covid app, and it only mentioned Temperature, Cough and Taste so thought I was getting a Cold.

A couple of weeks later a friend – who we had had lunch with three weeks previously, phoned to say she had had a positive test – it made us think……… so, after 5 weeks we did an antibody test and it came back positive. We both feel fully recovered now.

What I am trying to establish is – should I initially refrain from the vaccination and do another antibody test in three or four months, and if my antibodies have disappeared, have the vaccination?

Norman
United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Have they said which vaccine they will use?

No, I guess they’ll use whichever is available first. Germany will potentially have access to at least 5 different vaccines via the EU.

Personally, I think Dec 15 is unrealistic. We won’t get vaccinated before next year.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Norman wrote:

What I am trying to establish is – should I initially refrain from the vaccination and do another antibody test in three or four months, and if my antibodies have disappeared, have the vaccination?

Hard to tell. But from what we know now, immunity against the virus is probably long-lasting after an infection, and does not necessarily rely on the presence of antibodies in your blood (T-helper cells seem to conserve the knowledge of the virus fo years, enabling the body to quickly produce antibodies in case of a new infection). So you’re probably safe for now and vaccination will not be urgent for you.

The disclaimer here is that there is a degree of uncertainty about what I just wrote, subject to change once new information becomes available.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Airborne_Again wrote:

You mean that have chosen not to operate international flights?

Exactly, grounded almost the entire international fleet. The Australian Government has very strict quarantine, at the moment less than 1000 Australian citizens or other exempt people per day, are allowed to entire quarantine because it is done in a hotel guarded by police and in some cases the army. Only a few airlines that have a good freight business or very cheap fuel have continued because a typical arrival flight of either a 777 or A380 can carry no more than around 50 passengers.

Qantas won’t restart international flights until the Australian Government gets rid of the quarantine which is not going to happen until the pandemic is either largely over or the quarantine is reduced because of a suitable vacinne.

Ted
United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message