Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

Didn’t NZ basically do that and still fail to keep it out? The world is so connected that sealing up the porosity that could let it back in, even if you did completely get to zero infected cases, seems almost impossible. Regarding testing, false negatives alone will be enough to keep it lit and get the spread going again.

Nice paint job by the way!

EIMH, Ireland

Airborne_Again wrote:

You have several times made statements which I can only interpret as meaning that you couldn’t care less about the Covid-19 pandemic as long as it doesn’t affect you personally, your family, friends or associates. I think this “every man for himself” attitude is what most Europeans find alien.

I think every man for himself, his family, his friends and his business works better for everybody than government takeover of society and experimentation on the population.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 16 Sep 13:30

Just watched the video.

It makes some good points (easy to do given the stellar incompetence of the authorities involved) but a lot is disingenuous, and some is clearly bollox.

For example not operating the 28-day “cause of death” rule is worth only roughly 10% of the deaths. It is worth just the actuarial death risk over the next 28 days, which is miniscule even if you are 90 (if healthy). The UK death toll went down by about 10% once this adjustment was applied retrospectively. That it was as much as 10% shows how many already seriously ill people have died of CV19.

The claim that nobody under 60 has died of it unless they had life threatening pre-existing conditions, is obviously bollox. Well, you can develop a debate around the reasonable postulation that a lot of people have a terminal illness which they are not aware of…

He complains that his YT subscriber numbers are dropping. I suggest that is because he comes out with some good points and a load of bollox

I’ve just had a haircut. If the lady doing it had CV19 then I prob99 got it too. She was only doing my hair But the # infected here runs at a few hundred ppm. The one before that, 2.5 months ago, was done at Krk in Croatia where the virus was practically zero. I will stick to this sort of risk management for now

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

flybymike wrote:

Don’t know whether this Non PC link will still work by the time it’s clicked on.

Why should it not work…?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

@Silvaire wrote:

I think every man for himself, his family, his friends and his business works better for everybody than government takeover of society and experimentation on the population.

But those are not the only alternatives. Far from it.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 16 Sep 13:50

Given my fairly elaborate write up on my expectation of government function in relation to my life, I’m obviously aware that government has a role in which it can be effective, but it’s not takeover and direction of society. We are today subjected to a constant barrage of propaganda in relation to it seems every issue which would have us believe that unless we support massive government growth and takeover of our lives, we don’t “care” about others. I think that is complete nonsense, dangerous, and the opposite is closer to the truth.

@Airborne_Again I think you are likely making reference to the Swedish government approach to COVID which I agree has been better than that of most countries. We know personally of one family who this summer moved to Sweden from Germany for that reason, made easier for them because they have family and property there and because he commutes to his (“critical infrastructure”) job regardless of where he lives.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 16 Sep 15:12

@Silvaire wrote:

Airborne_Again I think you are likely making reference to the Swedish government approach to COVID…

Actually I was not — I was speaking in general terms. But certainly the Swedish approach to COVID is an example.

Don’t know whether this Non PC link will still work by the time it’s clicked on.
Why should it not work…?

Because Youtube have a habit of pulling videos which do not preach the “correct” doctrine.

Egnm, United Kingdom

flybymike wrote:

Because Youtube have a habit of pulling videos which do not preach the “correct” doctrine.

Really now? Are you talking about political views or dangerous misinformation such as some alternative medicine? For example, you know that some people claim that bleach enemas can cure autism in children? (I’m not kidding.) I’m very happy if Youtube pulls such videos as they are downright dangerous. A dissenting view of a current political issue is something else entirely. Do you have actual examples of that being removed?

(Btw, “correct” doctrine in whose opinion? It’s not like we have a secret world government that decides on “correct” doctrines. Well, ok, some people do believe that but…)

Airborne_Again wrote:

[about youtube suppressing ‘wrong’ content] Really now? Are you talking about political views or dangerous misinformation such as some alternative medicine?

Nobody knows, and the situation is certainly evolving as the various states and ‘public opinion’, whatever that may be, increasingly treat these platforms as publishers with accountability for the content they provide, rather than as simple places hosting other people’s content. It started with them having to remove material if somebody claims it breaches copyright, and I have no idea where this trend will end.

Also, advertisers dictate which content they want to be associated with, and the platforms are driving clicks away from content which advertisers exclude to content that they like; hence if you have a channel that uses keywords on many advertisers’ exclusion lists, you will not only make no money – which you may not care about -, but also will end up very low in searches and don’t make it into the suggested content.

If it goes the way newspapers and many TV stations went, eventually these platforms may become an outlet for the opinions of their owners; the only thing preventing that will be economics, i.e., whether this reduces advertising revenue significantly.

Last Edited by Cobalt at 16 Sep 17:55
Biggin Hill
Sign in to add your message