Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

LeSving wrote:

Latest studies from SA show that previous infection gives no protection against omikron. Last nail in the coffin for herd immunity.

What we need to know urgently is what the effect is on the vaccinations. So far, there is conflicting information regarding this. As most of those who had covid will eventually vaccinate, particularly if they read stuff like this study, it is vital to know how well the vaccinations protect you. If they don’t then it really is a new situation altogether which would most probably lead to another total shut down of the economy.

So far, vaccine manufacturers have claimed this not being the case however.

The direction that countries are going is more and more towards 2G (vaccinated or recovered), 2G+ plus test or 1G (vaccinated only). Unfortunately it is again a mess as governments shy away from putting in place regulation which people can easily follow. Instead they dance around the issue like Nureyev in his best times and push the Joker towards county or state governments.

IMHO, there is no other way anymore than to go back to total mask use everywhere and social distancing plus lockdowns for all unvaccinated folks.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

This one hits the news big time here:

In Norway, Oslo, a group of 120 fully vaccinated folks met for a corporate christmas dinner. Now over half of them has got Covid, most probably Omrikon of which some 20 have been sequenced up to now. So far, no severe illnesses, but the spread in a fully vaccinated group is extreme. Also Covid usually will take it’s time to become severe, which has not yet passed.

https://www.euronews.com/2021/12/02/covid-19-norway-on-guard-over-omicron-as-dozens-test-positive-after-christmas-party

One example but it shows that this new variant appears to be a huge problem as break through infections with it are the rule, not the exception.

In Switzerland we got reports of horrible conditions in ICU wards, where it is expected that tirage will have to start next week. Almost all ICU cases are non-vaccinated. Yet, our government has again failed to put measures in place which would have an effect on this, such as imposing a nationwide 2G rule. But with Omrikon, even 2G is not enough anymore. With the new threats, I don’t see how to avoid lockdowns anymore. But if so, they have to be done radically, not half baked and with exceptions which make them useless. Complete stand still, lockdown, everyone at home for a month or two might help to stop a horriffic tragedy over xmas, but it won’t happen.

It all depends on how severe the disease caused by Omicron is in the vaccinated and recovered.

If it is mild, this is simply what has been happening for ages around cold viruses, a cyclical refresh of immunity with mild diseases, and general immunity acquired in childhood.

One way or the other, the unvaccinated will eventually become infected and acquire their immunity the hard way.

Biggin Hill

If it is mild, this is simply what has been happening for ages around cold viruses, a cyclical refresh of immunity with mild diseases, and general immunity acquired in childhood.

I think so too. Keeping fighting against this thing is useless. It’s like fighting the tide.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Cobalt wrote:

It all depends on how severe the disease caused by Omicron is in the vaccinated and recovered.

Correct. That is the major question. I am not convinced by the reports so far, which suggest that there are only benign cases. Looking that the original Covid took up to 10 days after testing to erupt into the deadly disease it is, we could simply be drawing early conclusions.

If it is mild and if it replaces Delta and the other variants due to its immense spread potential it could be of advantage. If not however, it will not be back to square one but onto a new gameboard.

I just have misgivings about such early enthusiasm. First, it may cause the motivation to get vaccinated to lower even more. Secondly, it will be fast forgotten that Delta is still the predominant version and is the one causing the current ICU crisis.

Cobalt wrote:

One way or the other, the unvaccinated will eventually become infected and acquire their immunity the hard way.

With Omikron apparently everyone will get infected.

Today I was at the Royal Opera in Stockholm for the Die Walküre. Sold out and 1000+ people in the audience. Everyone checked for being fully vaccinated. We’ll see if it was a bad move…

(Btw. the performance was excellent, particularly Wotan and Sieglinde. Wotan’s part being sung by Greer Grimsley who I hadn’t heard before.)

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 04 Dec 21:07
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

We’ll see if it was a bad move…

Your memories is the only thing nobody can take from you. Glad you enjoyed it!

(Incidently, I am looking to eventually go see the same Opera in Bern. Giada Borelli, a young sophrano whose career I’ve been following since she won a talent show in Italy at the age of 13, is in it as Woglinde.)

There are performances and artists I was privileged to see for which I am thankful for the rest of my life. Even if it meant doing some airline flying which would Greta start her own sophrano solo.

LeSving wrote:

Latest studies from SA show that previous infection gives no protection against omikron. Last nail in the coffin for herd immunity.

Here

At least the paper you cite does say, that (in contrast to Delta) Omikron is associate with an increased reinfection risk – but it doesn’t say at all, that “previous infections give no protection against Omikron”.
That is just fake news!

Germany

Just seen an article quoting studies about reducing infection risk with masks.

According to the study by the Max Plank Institute in Göttingen, masks have a huge potential to reduce the risk of infection for the wearer. Base is to be close to an infected person for 20 minutes.

- A normal surgical mask, properly worn, reduces the risk down to about 10% in comparison to someone not wearing a mask.
- A FFP2 mask, properly worn, reduces the risk down to about 0.1%. FFP 2 masks are however often worn wrongly, leaving a space around the nose. In this case, the quota is at about 4%.

The above values are conservatively calculated. The researchers say, that in daily life the protection is even bigger.

https://www.faz.net/aktuell/gesellschaft/gesundheit/coronavirus/ffp2-masken-bieten-sehr-hohen-schutz-vor-corona-laut-studie-17667506.html?utm_source=pocket-newtab-global-de-DE

Mooney_Driver wrote:

According to the study by the Max Plank Institute in Göttingen, masks have a huge potential to reduce the risk of infection for the wearer. Base is to be close to an infected person for 20 minutes.

It might finally turn out that all the surgeons, dentists, etc. who have been wearing masks for more than a century now to avoid infections are not just stupid morons… ;-)

Germany
Sign in to add your message