Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

Just to comment on Graham’s post.

The Government overreach and the massive over reaction to the Omicron variant means that I have decided there is no way that I will take the “booster” shot. The more these badly informed public “servants” try to bully me the more stubborn I will get.

If they had released proper information instead of the “one truth” propaganda I may well have taken my booster but now, after 4th January I will be officially “unvaxxed” – phew, what a relief.

United Kingdom

Cobalt wrote:

where do you get the data for these BS assertions from?

Jesus How about relaxing a tiny bit. Just because you can fish up a Pfizer sponsored “research” article, doesn’t mean it all there is to it. It’s real life that counts in the end.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Archer-181 wrote:

The Government overreach and the massive over reaction to the Omicron variant means that I have decided there is no way that I will take the “booster” shot. The more these badly informed public “servants” try to bully me the more stubborn I will get.

Well.

I do hope you take a deep breath and a step back and think about this.

So because you are pi$$ed off with the government, as most of us are, you are willing to forego something which will keep you, your family, your children, your neighbours safe and possibly spare you a very uncomfortable time in an ICU, just because you are mad at the government.

Do you really think they care? Do you really think that this self-damage you do to yourself will change ONE iota of the idiotic way government is screwing up this crisis? For all we know, if you get sick badly because you did not boost, you might play into their hands. Let alone the agony and grief you would put your family through.

Refusing the booster will not make a difference to “the government”. But what it will do is it will possibly do a damage to yourself which can easily cost you your medical and quite possibly your life, either completely or as you knew it.

But in one way I should be thankful for your message. Because it shows how massive the problem is we have.

If we all take a very deep breath and look at what we are fighting against for the last year, the attitude you display here out of understandable anger is EXACTLY what has brought us into this. And YEA, you can blame the government and their lousy leadership for it, because it IS why a lot of intelligent, diligent and rational people like yourself will forego a vaccination to have one over the government. To show them how bloody independent thinkers we all are.

Well, if you want to make a point, if you are so much against certificates, regimes of 2G, 3G and so on, nobody forces you to take the certificate and use it. while again, the only damage you will probably do is to make your life darn difficult, by all means do it. But get that darn booster anyway.

Archer-181 wrote:

If they had released proper information instead of the “one truth” propaganda I may well have taken my booster but now, after 4th January I will be officially “unvaxxed” – phew, what a relief.

Who will be relieved of what? You will. Of a protection you need more than ever.

The government doesn’t care. The papers profit from everyone who ends up in the ICU’s because they make for a bad clickbait story.

What really hurts in this whole kafkaeske stupidity is that we have reached a point where people WILL damage themselves thinking that it will damage the government or that they can prove something. Wrong. Big time.

When I was a teenager we had a German teacher who was a tough and unpleasant s.o.b. Some folks started protesting against him, started to refuse to learn for their exams, to get the class average down to damage HIM. One day he calmly stood in front of all of us and quietly said: "Look folks. If you are mad at me, that is fine, I can deal with that. What you do angers me, sure. But it doesn’t hurt me. After you all have gone and failed your finals (which, my remark he would not grade) which I am doing my best to prepare you for, you are the ones who are damaged. Who have to repeat a whole year or, worse, fail your high school diploma, which means you won’t ever go to college. I will go on having another class and hopefully have forgotten about the sorry lot who puts personal animosity before their own good. So if you want to take my advice, get out of the pram and get your act together. "

While memory might have changed some words, the way this guy got a lot of “rebels” down to earth with not 3 minutes of quiet analysis of what was going on is one of the things I’ve never forgotten. Because he was right. 5 months after this I had my diploma and shook the guys hand thanking him for 5 years of dedicated service in educating us in far more than just German.

@Archer-181 and some other rebels out there, I’ve lost too many to Covid already. If for nothing else, I ask the personal favour of you: Get that damn booster while you can.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 17 Dec 21:48
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

I think the next few weeks are going to be interesting.

Given the strong evidence that 3x vacced people are well protected, I see two possible outcomes with Omicron:

• a disaster in health (unvacced people getting seriously ill and dying) and economics (lots of essential workers off work due to illness, or skiving off work)
  • the whole thing fizzling out into a mild disease (which a lot of unvacced people will still get, with the above economic result)

My money is on #2.

Partly due to a lack of evidence of serious illness (the UK has ~11% totally unvacced and these are absolutely determined anti-vaccers, and about 55% with just 2 – see here)

and with these numbers we should be seeing a lot more hospital admissions and deaths (UK population health and diet are pretty crap; among the worst in Europe) than we are seeing.

And partly I am seeing the govt trying hard to keep a lid on this lack of evidence, which is a fully understandable public policy procedure (as well as a necessary political procedure given that the opposition is aligned on the “crisis is coming” position, and will slaughter the govt if #1 comes instead) but that does not make it any less suspicious…

My biggest concern is whether I can go skiing in mid Jan I’ve just got back from a week in Cervinia and it all worked very well. Good simple effective precautions operated on the slopes, with negligible hysteria.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I have to say the 2G, 2G+, 3G German language naming convention is so stereotypical in its overdone complexity that its really a bit funny The vaccine passport concept itself is a sad example of localized authoritarian government and probably valueless even to those who are supposedly on the ‘right’ side of its discrimination via choosing to be vaccinated, but at least there’s something amusing about it.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 18 Dec 02:33

It’s getting more and more certain IMO. Omicron is the natural solution to this, vaccine or no vaccine, it doesn’t seem to matter. SA has vaccinated only 25% of the population.

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

SA has vaccinated only 25% of the population.

But they estimate that 75% of their population already had an infection of a previous strain of covid.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

I’m also with Silvaire on trips to the EU – I’m not really interested in doing them if it requires PCR tests and/or having to show certificates everywhere.

However, I’ll take a booster shot for as long as it is deemed clinically necessary. I take my cats for booster shots at the vets regularly, it’s not really a great leap to do the same for myself (and I already do for the flu jab – they come to our office to administer it so I don’t even need to go anywhere for that one). Getting a severe bout of COVID has an uncomfortably high probability of having aviation medical cancelling consequences (not to mention long term quality of life reductions – my career and livelyhood is literally over if I get “brain fog” long term – even if it only put me out for 1 year then I was back to normal, that 1 year gap would make me virtually unemployable in my industry), and if taking 15 minutes out of my day every 6 months to get a booster will prevent that, I think that’s quite an acceptable price to pay.

Last Edited by alioth at 18 Dec 09:42
Andreas IOM

Just looked at how to get the third dose (booster dose) in my home county. There it say if you have two doses and has been infected with corona, a third dose is not necessary. So I figure that since no one gets real sick (a slight fever at the most) when being infected and have had two doses, then why bother with a third dose? I don’t see any reason to take a third. I’m not a hypochondriac, and I have never taken any flu vaccine.

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

gallois wrote:

I hope you are right but is there good evidence apart from Darwinism that that is the case or is that wishful thinking?

AFAIU, that’s what usually happens with a new virus.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message