Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

Cobalt wrote:

if it turns out that Omikron is milder than or similar to Delta, the willingness of the population to accept Covid measures will go down further

Absolutely – and rightfully so! “IF” it turns out to be much milder….

Germany

Malibuflyer wrote:

rightfully so! “IF” it turns out to be much milder….

I don’t know about rightfully so. Delta is still around and killing people, so even if the new variant is less dangerous, it would be a bad sign to let people think it’s all fine now. It won’t be, not for a very long time.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

“you can only cry “Wolf” a few times”
Not true in some parts of Alaska and Siberia. You can cry “Wolf” every time one appears.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Delta is still around and killing people,

The glas is not always half empty!

There is a not unrealistic scenario that at some point in time delta (and other variants that are out there at that time) gets replaced by a variant that is
a) similar enough that an infection with it generates high degree of immunity against delta
b) much more contagious and
c) has a much milder form of infection so that it is basically no longer life threatening

When that happens, delta will be replaced quite rapidly (as delta has replaced the pro variants quite rapidly) and the best reaction from health system would actually be to let as many people infect themselfes as quickly as possible.

Not implying that Omikron is such a variant – as we do not have enough data – but doomsday is not the only way out of this Covid thing…

Germany

All of the continuing information still coming out that this latest variant is mild. I agree, not peer reviewed and I agree we need to follow the science. The newspapers do not follow the science and just peddle doom and gloom to get “clicks”

What is true is, although gene was first sequenced in South Africa, it most certainly is everywhere. We are punishing a country for doing the gene sequencing and they are not happy having travel closed down and a detrimental effect on their economy.

This is exactly what happened when the UK announced they had found the Delta variant – the UK became a pariah state. Also the UK does more testing so the figures look worse.

Some developing countries which did little testing and no gene sequencing were on the green list – out of sight out of mind!

United Kingdom

Archer-181 wrote:

The newspapers do not follow the science and just peddle doom and gloom to get “clicks”

This is fast becoming the least pleasant aspect of all of this.

I watched the Downing Street press conference on Saturday (only because we happened to be watching TV, I would not make a point of it) and the overwhelming thrust of all the questions from journalists was “Why aren’t you declaring a big emergency and locking us down? Please, please, oh please lock us down!” That and the fact that they ask a minimum of six questions at a time and it’s amazing anyone can remember the first one by the time they’ve finished speaking.

EGLM & EGTN

and the overwhelming thrust of all the questions from journalists was “Why aren’t you declaring a big emergency and locking us down? Please, please, oh please lock us down!”

It’s the same here, and it has been going on since things normalized some months ago. Then they are interviewing “random” persons on the streets, every single one with the same sentiment: the government must lock us down. Where do they even find these people? Completely crazy.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

If they LeSving wrote:

Then they are interviewing “random” persons on the streets, every single one with the same sentiment: the government must lock us down. Where do they even find these people?

If they were genuine, at home.

Biggin Hill

News producers always select interviewees which deliver the desired message – this is normal. It would be a complete waste of your budget to make a programme where you interview somebody who is “off-message” ( (C) corporate bull5shit generator )

All of the continuing information still coming out that this latest variant is mild

I would put money on that being the outcome. In any case the nature of “exponential” (there’s another word which nobody knew existed before CV19, along with a load of others) growth is that it does nothing for a long time and then takes off. So I am very sure of a ski trip next week and very likely another in January and that’s basically all that matters

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Omicron, Delta the last two variants.

Anagram – MEDIA CONTROL

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow
Sign in to add your message