Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

I suspect the instructional flight briefings in the typical tiny cubicle would be more dangerous!
But even with 2% Covid incidence, (the UK’s highest so far), at most 1% will be asymptomatic and infectious, and so less than 1% of those briefings will result in infection. Probably much less.

White Waltham EGLM, United Kingdom

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Some may well miss out because of egoism, but there is a LOT of people by now who honestly think their refusals to vaccinate, protect themselves and undermine the effort to control this disease is a genuine act of defiance against an evil government who is out to take away their “rights” whatever they are.

Can there really be a LOT of people who don’t get vaccinated because of a political belief?

I would love to see some serious research on this but in the absence of that I would speculate that the reasons are far more mundane, e.g.

1) I have not received an invitation yet, so I can’t get vaccinated. (Not yet in a priority group, lost/changed contact details, chaotic lifestyle?)
2) I don’t know how to book a vaccination (eg not online, no credit left on mobile).
3) I have already had Covid, so I don’t need a vaccination.
4) I am too young to get ill from Covid, other people need it more.
5) If I go to get vaccinated I would lose a day’s pay, and maybe my job, and it’s hard to get there by public transport.
6) I am/might be pregnant so I should not get vaccinated (official advice until quite recently).
7) I have a needle phobia.
8) I will get a vaccination, really soon now, I just haven’t got round to booking it yet…

White Waltham EGLM, United Kingdom

The one person I know who was in (8) in your list got COVID and ended up in hospital, and is now absolutely exhausted from the slightest exertion. We like to think “it won’t happen to us”, but someone’s going to roll snake eyes and it could be you (you, as in people who haven’t got around to booking it yet).

As I like to tell my anti-vaxx friend (anti vaxx because “the vaccine doesn’t work”, because to him unless it guarantees you can’t get COVID, it’s no good) that I, as double vaxxed – in D&D terms, am rolling a D2000 for a bad outcome now I have the two jabs. He’s rolling a D20 for a bad outcome. For the inconvenience and brief pain of two injections and getting to roll a D2000 instead of a D20, I’ll take those odds thank you, because all of us are likely to get COVID sooner or later. I’d rather catch it with a prepared immune system rather than a naive one.

Last Edited by alioth at 11 Nov 11:43
Andreas IOM

DavidS wrote:

Can there really be a LOT of people who don’t get vaccinated because of a political belief?

Initially not. Now? Anti Vaxxers have spread their lies and disinformation very effectively and with the Zeitgeist of distrust and antagonism against anything government related have had a quite easy mission.

Those who fit into your 1-8 cathegories will get vaccinated once the inconvenience becomes too great, but most won’t because they by now truly believe what they preach. 1,2,5 are no longer an issue in most places, you can go without making a date, on days off, before/after work, and it’s still free of charge.

Most of those I know who are not vaccinated and refuse doing so will get violent the moment anything in relation is mentioned. In some companies which mandate vaccinations, a sizable quantity of people have resigned in protest and now portray themselves as the victims of tyranny.

In the Balkans, I’ve talked to intelligent people who knew more about the vaccines than I ever bothered to find out and STILL won’t have it with all the arguments listed before, not tested enough, Bill Gates implants chips into us to rule the world, it’s all fake, e.t.c. Some sick ones even claim they have been made sick on purpose by a bio war the government wages against them.

In the West of Switzerland some communities have organized concerts with well known artists to attract people to vaccinate, the tickets were bulk-bought by anti vaxxers and destroyed to sabotage the effort!!

It’s religious. You can’t argue with them, you can’t convince them. I am absolutely sure even if their whole country goes to the dogs because of this, they will still blame everyone else but themselves for their misfortune.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

I think Florida’s ‘hands off’ approach for the last year or so properly reflects the reality that emergency measures and dictates are only politically and economically sustainable for a finite period in free countries. The state still has regardless about 1500 cases daily per Worldometer, but the fatality rate has dropped to approximately zero. Its obvious to me that nobody has enough understanding of what drives these numbers to support a long term state of ‘emergency’ and associated repression.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 11 Nov 15:06

There is an article in todays press about the actual effectiveness of vaccinations against getting sick with symptoms, hospitalisation and death. The gist is: boosters will be needed asap for most people in order to stay protected and many have in the mean time lost protection to different degrees.

- symptomatic illness: Astra Zeneca becomes useless after 4 months to below 23%, Pfizer after 6 months. Moderna protects to 60% after 8 months.
- severe illness: Protection is between 70 and 90% after 6 months.
- hospitalisation: under 60 still 80% but older people less than 50%.

While this is journobabble it is based on studies in Sweden and Israel, stating that boosters are absolutely necessary pretty much NOW. I will try to apply for it tomorrow, despite the fact that it expires “only” after November 25th, I don’t feel safe at all anymore.

Probably this will be the new normal now, a new shot every 3-6 months. For ever.

Mooney_Driver wrote:

The gist is: boosters will be needed asap for most people in order to stay protected and many have in the mean time lost protection to different degrees.

Are the studies actually about protection or about number of antibodies?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Doesn’t say unfortunately, I’ve written to the paper for sources.

The article speaks of protection.

Are the studies actually about protection or about number of antibodies?

About vaccine effectiveness as measured by recorded infection numbers. I believe the press source is the Science-published study carried out on US veterans.

T28
Switzerland

- symptomatic illness: Astra Zeneca becomes useless after 4 months to below 23%, Pfizer after 6 months. Moderna protects to 60% after 8 months.
- severe illness: Protection is between 70 and 90% after 6 months.
- hospitalisation: under 60 still 80% but older people less than 50%.

That is obviously (evidently) BS, in general, but one can find more or less anything printed because journos are far from the sharpest knives in the drawer, as the saying goes.

The trouble is… does somebody have to dive into this thread to counter everything like this?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message