Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

Last Edited by Silvaire at 14 Dec 16:15

Silvaire wrote:

What government has done ‘for us’ other than what I described as a proper role is a completely unprecedented power grab, invading our lives in a way that I personally see as the most dangerous development of any kind in my lifetime to date.

+1

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

Peter wrote:

Is there some specific article?

This bit I would have definitely agreed with when I was (much) younger

Also +1 ;-)

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

Silvaire wrote:

What government has done ‘for us’ other than what I described as a proper role is a completely unprecedented power grab, invading our lives in a way that I personally see as the most dangerous development of any kind in my lifetime to date.

+2

(I believe I have already recounted my “Gendarme interactions” during the first Lockdown which was quite disconcerting)

Regards, SD..

I am sorry but you must be joking about the Economist. I have subscribed to this since University so have had it delivered for 30 years so I have noticed the slow decline

It used to be an excellent publication where it believed in Free Trade and sensible economics. At the time it was owned by the Pearson Group.

It was sold to the Agnelli Family and is now a mouthpiece for the EU – so much so it’s nickname is the EUconomist. The EU is an inward looking block which imposes tariffs on Africa and creates all sorts of trade distortions (unless you are in the block). It has damaged developing countries and become very “woke”. I just can’t read many of the articles anymore as they are so predictable.

The original founders of the Economist would turn in their grave. I have never cancelled my subscription as the science and technology section is good and the Audio downloads were good, but I will be cancelling my subscription this year as it has simply become too woke.

United Kingdom

Having bought the Economist mag at airports, train stations etc, I concur from memory. Smooth, woke, PC mag, devoid of detail. Haven’t bought it for years.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Archer-181 wrote:

It used to be an excellent publication where it believed in Free Trade and sensible economics

I liked the Economist (and had a subscription) as well. However, in hindsight one has to admit, that the economist has been one of the key drivers of the decline of esp. anglosaxon “journalism”.
Frankly speaking, Economist was one of the first mainstream publications that put “journalism” more in the role of campaigning for a certain opinion rather than unbiassed reporting on facts. While this is obviously pleasing as long as the opinion they campaign for is in line with the opinion I already have (and people with a different opinion would not have subscribed to the Economist anyways – the print equivalent of a filter bubble that always existed), it’s exactly the root course that today there is hardly any journalism remaining that earns to be called that way.

Germany

Apparently a new strain of SARS-CoV2 is spreading in S. England
It has a gene deletion on the spike protein encoding RNA, which makes its genome a bit easier to spread. It does not seem to be more lethal, but spreads easier than the previously predominant strains in S. England.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

MedEwok wrote:

It has a gene deletion on the spike protein encoding RNA, which makes its genome a bit easier to spread. It does not seem to be more lethal, but spreads easier than the previously predominant strains in S. England.

Will that affect the vaccines? AFAIU they work by making the immune system recognise the spike protein.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

There is a change of story from yesterday (no effect on the vaccine) to this morning (possibly some effect on the vaccine).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message