Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

Well, it’s almost 11:00 (wherever..) and help is on the way folks.

I’m all for keeping some sort of optimism for the future and not get into armageddon and extintion scenarios, but using this kind of ‘science’?

There are enough snake oil vendors in the world. Can’t this person be sued under some law?

But if he’s right, here goes the business model of all the Zooms, Webexes and the like. We can communicate by thought!

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

aart wrote:

I’m all for keeping some sort of optimism for the future and not get into armageddon and extintion scenarios, but using this kind of ‘science’?

- and I was hoping for a real Mad Max style post apocalyptic scenario where I would mount MGs on my Onex flying around hunting wolfs and moose, and shooting down the occasional intruder. Instead we have social distance, hygiene and tracing apps. Hmm.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Also they are quite dangerous and produce nasty accidents quite easily.

Bicycles are very good for the public health in that it keeps people fit. If you wear a helmet the risk of nasty accidents is small.

They were quite popular in Communist China however and still are I suppose.

Jesus. What’s your point?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

that normal behaviour is dead anyhow. People will be happy to be able to stay away from places where people can not escape each other. I wonder if this will also have effects on the flu epidemics every year, if people stop going out and mixing with others we should see a massive reduction in flu cases.

I can’t see that happen. Au contraire, people will make up for months of missed fun for a month or two as soon as as they are allowed to. That is exactly what our politicians are afraid of and what makes them so reluctant to start opening shops. Of course they are also afraid of riots and loss of control when they try to extend the social distancing for longer. So for the politicians it’s a walk on a knife’s edge driven by the stupidity of the people (like in normal times but now it becomes more transparent).

And this is not only about going to the pub and making a barbecue with friends. There are currently millions of people working from home without any impact on their income and without expenses like for petrol, train tickets or outside dining but also without the possibility to spend that money for holidays or other expensive activities. That money is not going to the banks with the low interest rates we still have.

Also tourism will go up sooner or later in regions where politicians see it as the region’s key business. Of course there will be a list of alibi precautions (see Peter’s list) but that’s it. What doesn’t hinder business will be done but what’s effective won’t.

Sarcasm meets reality: In Germany car dealerships will open next Monday. And guess what will open in regions with an important furniture industry. So maybe no tourism for the next year because people redecorated their apartments and drive a new car.

EDQH, Germany

Also they are quite dangerous and produce nasty accidents quite easily

So does flying. At a much higher probability.

EDQH, Germany

I think everyone will open up ASAP consistent with not so many people going into hospital that there is really terrible news coverage.

The southern countries get a lot of their GDP from tourism. For example, according to google, Croatia gets 25%. Greece claims 18% which seems amazingly small. I am sure these will want to re-open ASAP, but at the same time these two have dealt with the crisis very effectively (and for a good reason, especially in the case of Greece) so they won’t want to throw that away. It will be interesting what they do.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

aart wrote:

Can’t this person be sued under some law?

In the past we just used to lock them down for good in mental institution

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Few more at https://kwarantart.kubicki.info

Last Edited by loco at 19 Apr 09:51
LPFR, Poland

Haha, nice @loco

I thought to have gotten rid of the reflective vest brigade by saying goodbye to Son Bonet, but guess they now will start popping up like mushrooms everywhere.

Last Edited by aart at 19 Apr 10:01

The southern countries get a lot of their GDP from tourism. For example, according to google, Croatia gets 25%. Greece claims 18% which seems amazingly small. I am sure these will want to re-open ASAP, but at the same time these two have dealt with the crisis very effectively (and for a good reason, especially in the case of Greece) so they won’t want to throw that away. It will be interesting what they do.

It’s a real puzzle for these countries to strike a balance between public health and economy. But let’s not forget that in countries where the tourists come from, notably Germany and the UK, there is an active policy to discourage people from, ahem, going South this summer. I think nobody is booking anything right now. Most people here in Spain think that this season is completely lost. There is some talk of facilitating national tourism.

Last Edited by aart at 19 Apr 10:12
Sign in to add your message