Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 virus - airport and flying restrictions, and licensing / medical issues

Just heard that when you arrive on Jersey they make you buy a test kit for £50 but you don’t have to do anything with it. They just want to take the £50 from you

I can also confirm that if someone wants to travel to the UK for a short time, they can order a test kit from the C19 outfit mentioned above, for £18. They get the magic number (for the PLF form) with the purchase confirmation email (so no need to physically receive the kit). The fact that C19 (like probably all the kit sellers) doesn’t ship outside the UK doesn’t matter, you just give them some UK address. Some people I know have recently used my address If I keep doing this I will accumulate a number of the lateral flow test kits and everybody is happy. But you could probably just make up an address…

It’s a stupid system (and a massive loophole) but I can’t find anything on the govt website on the requirements for people travelling to the UK on a short term visit. For longer visits you need to do the day 2 test, but for say 1-2 days this is not feasible.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Just heard that when you arrive on Jersey the make you buy a test kit for £50 but you don’t have to do anything with it. They just want to take the £50 from you

Yup, Graham is 100% correct:

Graham wrote:

Naturally. The primary purpose of the travel testing system is to channel people’s money into the pockets of friends of those in power.

This idiocy will continue until people just stop complying.

EHLE, Netherlands

It’s not that simple because when you arrive you are met by the police, and they will refuse entry to the country if you don’t have the right paperwork.

Try turning up in France without a passport or without a vacc certificate. They will send you back home.

So you need to find a way to comply somehow. It doesn’t matter if it is a complete sham for the purposes of virus control. It’s like Eurocontrol; to get to most places you have to game their system a bit, and sometimes a lot more than a bit

I don’t want to get into politics here (because if I do, lots of people say HEY PETER IS TALKING POLITICS SO IT IS OKAY FOR US and everybody jumps in, brexit and all, and the right place for that is here) but I don’t think the answer is simply govt corruption. We have definitely had that in the UK (google Owen Paterson and read the source according to your political tastes; unfortunately the most left-wing have the websites accessible from abroad) and obviously so has every other country, simply because there is so much money involved. Everybody with access to the national procurement machine has been lining their pockets. The whole problem has been lubricated by the stupid culture of “vendor approval” which has been created over the past 30 years.

Instead, I think the problem is that the job was so huge that it was impossible to build a watertight system, so a lot of FUD was used.

And the border police “airport flying squad” don’t have a lot to do, especially with the depressed airline business, so they meet up every inbound traveller, and they regard it as a nice day out of the office.

So, play the game, and use this forum section to tell the rest of us how you did it, so others benefit.

Jersey is not the UK, BTW. It is an island owned by some old families, most of whom have a surname of DeGruchy, and – like other places in Europe – it is best to not mention WW2 there (partly kidding ).

Administrator

Peter wrote:

So you need to find a way to comply somehow.

Nope!

EHLE, Netherlands

I heard that there was a meetup in the Alps being planned here – how many pages back do I need to look to get to that info?

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

Here but much more usefully (because nobody wants to copy everything to two places, and most people don’t read all new posts) in the telegram ad-hoc fly-ins group
https://t.me/joinchat/SrLrcSrLDfWgPBny

Administrator

Just read that France is making the booster vaccination mandatory if you want to go to most public places etc and are over 65, from 15th December – here.

This is likely to mean that travelling to France won’t be possible if you are 65+ and have not had it. The rest of Europe will need to update its vaccination passes very fast

Administrator

Peter wrote:

The rest of Europe will need to update its vaccination passes very fast

They’d rather make boosters available first. For everyone.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Peter wrote:

The rest of Europe will need to update its vaccination passes very fast

Actually, the vaccination passes just say what vaccinations you’ve had and when. In themselves they don’t give you any rights. It’s up to the person looking at the pass to decide.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

It’s up to the person looking at the pass to decide.

No, it is upon the country how long they reckognize them. The consent appears to be 1 year now, but seeing new results regarding how fast the vaccines loose efficiencs, they should probably be reduced to 4 months for AZ, 6 months for Pfizer and 8 months to Moderna, thereafter in cycles of respective validity after Booster shots. Certificates of people who have had it should come down to 6 months. No more certificates without either vaccination or having recovered.

And people without certificates should not be allowed to travel at all.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
Sign in to add your message