Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 virus - airport and flying restrictions, and licensing / medical issues

Sorry typo, it’s 48h PCR test (even for those vaccinated) from outside EU (inside EU no vax it’s 24h PCR test, inside EU with vax is still ok)

https://www.lci.fr/sante/covid-19-coronavirus-variant-omicron-la-france-impose-un-test-obligatoire-aux-voyageurs-provenant-hors-de-l-ue-vaccines-ou-non-2203442.html

Last Edited by Ibra at 03 Dec 13:58
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

We are still trying to understand all the new stuff which the Swiss government has come up with this afternoon, but the gist is that predictably now that Omikron has arived here for good, quarantine appears to be dropped. However, instead, those who wish to enter Switzerland now need to present a negative PCR test before entry as well as a 2nd test 4-7th day after arrival is necessary. This is valid for everyone, from everywhere, no matter from where, or if vaccinated or not. Only exceptions are entry from border regions. Additionally, non vaccinated folks who do not have a citizenship or residence here are denied entry altogether.

Basically this puts a massive obstacle to travel.

We also understood that in some states of Germany, a strict 2G rule is now enforced and in order to visit a restaurant, a PCR test needs to be presented. This will most probably close most restaurants there.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 03 Dec 17:11
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

That’s Switzerland closed to many, but Switzerland closed itself to Brits anyway last winter.

Italy is still PCR or LFT, within previous 48hrs, and they don’t regard non-EU life forms as more dangerous

Re day trips UK to France, it seems clear that a single PCR test will do for both entry to France and the UK “on or before Day 2” one. That is what we used to do for those trips… so such a trip basically increases the LFAT landing fee by the cost of a PCR test The only challenge is that you need to use a company which delivers you the report before the trip.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

That’s Switzerland closed to many, but Switzerland closed itself to Brits anyway last winter.

The UK used to do the same to most of us, actually still if I am not mistaken or again? Double testing even though you are vaccinated?

The main trouble is the speed with which this is implemented, so I think there may well be quite a bit of hassle. Als it doesn’t say anything if this is valid also for crew members, or rather, if it is not, then they would have to say. This might put the airlines into a massive problem.

Papers report that there will be hefty fines of CHF 200.- imposed on anyone who does not have a test.

Did the UK block Swiss people specifically, on the basis that UK was EU but CH wasn’t, or some other obvious reason, or was it according to a table of infection rates?

The fine doesn’t matter because GA pilots do the due diligence first and won’t fly if there is a problem. I normally email the certificate to OPS the day before. They usually appreciate it.

Crews have separate arrangements, which have varied over time; from conversations with airline pilots, generally getting tighter and needing more regular LFT tests when staying in hotels etc. But it’s not a GA matter; GA pilots generally – with some interesting reported exceptions – get treated as GA passengers, not as crew. Airlines won’t be affected – except by the lack of people flying

There are new angles on this situation which need to be watched by anyone going abroad for more than a few days. For example your country could bring in a pre-return test. They probably won’t do it intra-schengen (for symbolic reasons) but if say a German popped over to Croatia, he might not be able to get back by airline if he tests positive. The LFT test, if it can be done unsupervised, has a trivial workaround, but not the PCR. You can always get back home by GA though.

Administrator

GA pilots generally – with some interesting reported exceptions – get treated as GA passengers, not as crew

Do you have examples? I have not flown much internationally but claiming various crew quaratine exemptions for “crew only flights” was never an issue in UK, France & Switzerland (we can debate for ages if I was entitled to that on few occasions or just abusing the system on few flights but I did not even have to wear a uniform or show my licence or justify the “nature of the flight”), obviously testing was usually applicable to crew…

Last Edited by Ibra at 03 Dec 23:30
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

GA pilots generally – with some interesting reported exceptions – get treated as GA passengers, not as crew.

My experience is opposite – I’ve been treated as a crew during the pandemic and I’ve never been asked to present any document at the airport except ID card/passport at immigration/customs. Maybe Sicily was exception when entering airport building on a way back but it’s not worth of mentioning.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

claiming various crew quaratine exemptions for “crew only flights” was never an issue in UK

Sure; it is because the police here do not see the content of the PLF; only whether you filed one or not. You could put on it that you are the Pope on Vatican official business. Empirically I am fairly sure nobody ever looks at the PLFs; it is merely the act of filing one which is a) checked by the police and b) filing one without using one of the exemptions transfers your details to the “indian script monkey harrassment call centre” and links that to the CV19 test company database so the phone calls stop when a negative test appears.

I am sure other countries are running similar schemes (suprisingly nobody here has posted on this topic – I wonder why?) but probably with a different detail implementation. And some poorer countries (the UK has sunk $37BN into their track & trace debacle) won’t be implementing anything apart from the border check.

My experience is opposite – I’ve been treated as a crew during the pandemic and I’ve never been asked to present any document at the airport except ID card/passport at immigration/customs. Maybe Sicily was exception when entering airport building on a way back but it’s not worth of mentioning.

If you remain airside, sure.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Did the UK block Swiss people specifically, on the basis that UK was EU but CH wasn’t, or some other obvious reason, or was it according to a table of infection rates?

No, it is for everyone. There is no more differentiating between risk countries, all are risk countries. So that mirrors pretty much what the UK had (or has?) , for every one entering the country you need to pass a PCR test prior departure plus one more 4-7 days after arrival.

Peter wrote:

Crews have separate arrangements, which have varied over time

Yes, there is quite a bit of incertainty at this point. The health ministry sais “everybody”. The transport ministry quotes an older order saying commercial transport crews (airline crews, bus drivers, e.t.c.) are exempt from testing, but still need 3G. I guess this will be clarified. Private GA clearly does not qualify for not testing.

If you remain airside, sure.

No. I wrote about it when flying to Canary Islands – no check when staying overnight at Jerez, no check when landing to Lanzarote.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
Sign in to add your message