Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 virus - airport and flying restrictions, and licensing / medical issues

Peter wrote:

Is that for entry to Switzerland?

Yes. Sorry I should have added the link, as it will change.

https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/en/home/krankheiten/ausbrueche-epidemien-pandemien/aktuelle-ausbrueche-epidemien/novel-cov/empfehlungen-fuer-reisende/liste.html

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

The Isle of Man has started implementing border restrictions again:

For those coming from the CTA (UK, Eire, Jersey, Guernsey) – you must take an LFT within 12 hours of arrival; details of how the result is to be reported is TBA.

For those coming from anywhere outside the CTA, on arrival they must self isolate and take a PCR test. Self isolation must continue until a negative PCR test result.

Andreas IOM

The UK has also changed their rules, but generally for all countries:
– After entry, every person entering the UK needs to quarantine.
– After two days, a PCR test has to be done.
– Quarantine ends upon receipt of the result of a negative test

A minor point but I understand that the PCR test can be taken any time from arrival until end of Day 2 rather than after 2 days.

On-site testing at the arrival airport is possible but more commonly done at home and posted off.

On my last trip abroad, the LFT was dispatched on the day of arrival which I suspect is a government requirement. This leaves less time to take the test and risks delays if it isn’t delivered for any reason.

FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom

the PCR test can be taken any time from arrival until end of Day 2 rather than after 2 days.

The last wording I saw was “on or before day 2”

was dispatched on the day of arrival which I suspect is a government requirement.

Not seen that. Certainly some or most of the kit companies ask for the flight # and they aim to despatch it so it arrives when you are back in the UK. But you can lie and pick some random flight # which arrives on some earlier day, and this is highly advisable so you have the kit definitely ready when you return.

The problem with “quarantine until tested negative” is

• many/most of the test kits are sold by crooks and don’t turn up on time, or ever, or the result never arrives so you are stuck at home “for ever” (I don’t know what the process for getting out of that is, short of getting another test kit).
  • until the test company logs a negative result, you get random calls on each day, from the indian script monkey call centres, and “reportedly” if they don’t get through 3 times they call the police, and they aren’t supposed to make 3 calls 1 minute apart to earn their bonus points, but I know they do sometimes do that, and I have complained about it

I would definitely get some kits well in advance. This one is reliable. The others are largely crooks and criminals, especially Randox

The LFT system was useless because you emailed them back a photo and they had an auto-responder which emailed you back a certificate immediately Also the LFT is dead easy to cheat. The PCR test isn’t, unless you test somebody else who is known to be “clean”.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I note that Switzerland requires negative test AND 10 days quarantine, Somewhat bizarre IMHO, surely one or the other? …………So my ski trip there stuffed again!

Last Edited by PeteD at 28 Nov 23:06
EGNS, Other

PeteD wrote:

I note that Switzerland requires negative test AND 10 days quarantine

Correct at the time of writing. It appears that any country which has confirmed Omrikon cases is considered “country with a variant of concern” for which a negative PCR test (antibody test won’t work) plus 10 days of quarantine. Please note that these requirements are valid regardless of vaccination or recovered status.

It remains to be seen how the situation develops. It is obvious that “Omrikon” is already present everywhere quite possibly including Switzerland. Therefore I would expect regulations to change again, possibly in both directions:

• I expect that after it becomes clear that Omrikon has already reached just about everywhere including Switzerland, that measures may change yet again, quite possibly stopping some of the more restrictive ones. The other variant however is that Switzerland will go into lockdown, similar to Austria.

It appears that also other countries have tightened their entry requirements. Amongst which

• The Netherlands apparently locks up arrivals from Southern Africa in quarantine hotels.
  • Austria is in full lockdown and does not accept any entry for touristic purposes.
Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 29 Nov 05:36
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Italy is unlikely to ban travel there. Just spoke to a local. They don’t want to wipe out there economy again, and they already want a test certificate.

The unfortunate outcome may be that with Switzerland and Austria closed, half of the UK will head for Italy…

The UK is not currently implementing a pre return to the UK test. Those tests are a disaster because if you can’t produce a negative one, you are stuck in some “containment facility” abroad. The result was that almost nobody travelled. And the airlines didn’t look too closely at the certificates of those returning to the UK… The Day 2 test is OK because if you test positive at least you will be stuck at home. However, pre return tests were never implemented for GA, anyway, at any airport I know of.

Just bought some tests – 2 LF and 2 PCR Day 2. The PCR ones have just gone up from £44 to £75, from the same company

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Worth noting that Day 2 PCR test and isolation does not apply when travelling from Ireland or Channel Islands or Isle of Man, provided not left the Common Travel Area within previous 10 days. However those destinations may have additional requirements to travel there in the first place.

The others are largely crooks and criminals, especially Randox

My own experience with Randox was satisfactory and as expected – maybe I was just lucky. They are still selling these kits for £43 with an airline discount code.

FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom

Today I traveled from Croatia to Mexico via Germany (one stop). Nobody asked me any health related document anywhere, not even mandatory passenger locator form in Mexico.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Today I traveled from Croatia to Mexico via Germany (one stop).

The range of a DA42 is amazing

EBST, Belgium
Sign in to add your message