Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 virus - airport and flying restrictions, and licensing / medical issues

I see a lot of discussion about flying to/from Schengen countries from the UK, but little to nothing about flying around inside the Schengen area. Looking for NOTAMS, I haven’t found anything that impacts GA, although there are NOTAMS related to international airports and commercial traffic …. temperature testing, masks, and so on.

Has anyone current or recent experience of restrictions above and beyond the traditional ones on GA cross-border flights among France, Germany, Italy, Austria to/from airfields other than Ports-of-Entry airports? For example, what about any small German airfield to Zell-am-See/AT, Bolzen/IT, Trento/IT, Lucca/IT, etc? Or from mainland Italy (e.g. Lucca) to Corsica …. Propriano, Corte, etc? Or Propriano Corsica to/from Oristano Sardinia? All of these flights would be possible direct in normal times.

LSZK, Switzerland

They are, to a high degree. People are already flying all across Europe again.

France still does border checks at airports with border crossing point and many of those airports want prior notice for that. But they don‘t restrict your choice of airfield. Just like pre Corona.

Lithuania did have a NOTAM saying only the four international airports may be used for international flights, but that NOTAM is no more, I believe.

Just check enroute NOTAMs carefully before heading off.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Officially inside Europe the rules are entirely up to individual countries, Shengen is still technically suspended and you need to look at each country separately.
On the positive side there is no restrictions that I have found to France from other EU countries since June 15th and at first glance it appears that way to most other EU countries aswell from France right now – but dont take my word on the from France bit, as things may change.

Regards, SD..

Sweden has not suspended Schengen. Also there are no restrictions entering Sweden from non-Schengen EES countries, the UK and Switzerland.

Entering Sweden from other countries is generally not permitted, but there are exceptions. In particular for residents of Serbia and Montenegro and residents of some countries outside Europe.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Scilly Isles EGHE no longer showing their virus closure notams:

L3128/20
Q) EGTT/QLAXX/IV/NBO/A/000/999/4955N00618W005
A) EGHE
B) 2007010801 C) 2007311730
E) RWY 27 STROBE APPROACH LIGHT NUMBER 3 U/S

L3129/20
Q) EGTT/QNXAS/V/B/A/000/999/4955N00618W005
A) EGHE
B) 2007010803 C) 2007311730
E) VDF FREQ 124.880 MHZ U/S

L3130/20
Q) EGTT/QLBAS/V/M/A/000/999/4955N00618W005
A) EGHE
B) 2007010803 C) 2007311730
E) AD IDENT BEACON U/S

L3131/20
Q) EGTT/QOLAS/IV/M/A/000/999/4955N00618W005
A) EGHE
B) 2007010804 C) 2007311730
E) ANEMOMETER OBSTACLE LGT U/S

I have emailed them to check this is real.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Just read that one can now fly UK to Jersey EGJJ.

The cost is £50 plus the landing fee (unknown; was ~£20) which is much less than the ~£200 GAMA quoted me 3 years ago. And you get hard parking. GAMA took over the GA business after the aeroclub there went bust recently.

They get you to take the CV19 test when you arrive but you don’t need to self isolate! So it seems a good way to get yourself tested even on a day trip, it seems. You can’t get a test kit for less and anyway DIY test kits are officially banned in the UK

Correction to above, from a local pilot: Hi not quite true for non Jersey AC you need to go via GAMA pay the £50 then head down to the grass at the old aero club. If you stay at GAMA for more than two hours it jumps to nearly £200. Correct re test which you need to book in advance and is a couple of minutes from the aero club. Also need to book security to get you through the old aero club building.

Latest news on Alderney EGJA is 1st September…

Administrator

On the topic of how long before the CAA again requires actually flown revalidation flights (i.e. dual with an FI/CRI) their unwillingness to accept cheques as mentioned here would make such a demand quite unreasonable

Same with medicals and any tests relating to them. Currently, around 20% of people in the UK who caught it are believed to have caught it while visiting a hospital for some other reason. So visiting an AME who is hospital based seems pretty risky. Actually visiting any AME must be highly risky because he/she closely examines so many people. This is all at a time when it is only just possible to get a haircut!

Administrator

Just to make life for UK pilots more interesting, it has been discovered that the UK authorities managed to produce some requirements which have been so well hidden that practically nobody knew about them

Upon arrival in the UK you are supposed to fill in this online Public Health Passenger Locator Form. Yes it is obviously for airlines so just put in some dummy info where appropriate.

Then they want a GENDEC local copy which is to be emailed to [email protected] after landing in the UK. The deadline is not known.

The above is additional to the usual GAR form.

This PDF local copy contains the guidelines.

Fairly obviously nobody in GA is aware of this stuff and the police (who meet up arriving pilots, sometimes) have confirmed that. Like the just-ended quarantine, there appears to be no enforcement.

Administrator

I wouldn’t say nobody in GA is aware of this as I followed these exact guidelines for my day trip to Le Touquet yesterday. Then again it did require a level of meticulousness to make the necessary enquiries as to what exactly is required.

Also just to point out that the passenger locator form should be submitted prior to your return flight.

Last Edited by Dino at 13 Jul 18:59

I sent passenger locator form everytime on my last 3 flights France-UK, actually in the middle of lockdown it was enforced and I got spammed by “health SMS” afterward, although on my last occasion when UKBF turns up they had no clue what that pdf print was about for my case, from the discussion it seemed it is not applicable to “crew” in their regards as was 1pob…

The GENDEC thingy on the notams, that I have no clue 1) I am not flying to heathrow and 2) GENDECs do not seem applicable to GA inbounds to UK as we have GAR form, but maybe worth fwd GAR forms to the “health authorities” if one brings pax ?

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message