Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

National CAA policies around Europe on busting pilots who bust controlled airspace (and danger areas)

arj1 wrote:

Malibuflyer wrote: That could either imply that German pilots generally never infringe airspaces for more than a minute or two or that this rumor might not be very accurate…

Or that the German ATC is actually fit for purpose and helps to avoid this mess! :)

or the multiple is quite small number.

Peter wrote:

I have just heard that in Germany they follow this principle:

It is was just a brief mistake and you went only about a few feet or a few 100m laterally, then no action is taken.

Then, there is a rule that depends on how many minutes you have flown into controlled airspace. The flight minutes are multiplied by a three-digit number in euros.

Possibly true. The only written thing I’ve read is that fines up to 50.000€ are possible.

When I entered some class D without permission in June, it was for less than 200ft vertically (from below) and less than 30 seconds. I immediately contacted the ATC unit in question, who did not even tell me off. They were very relaxed and gave me a clearance to pass their control zone, which I didn’t absolutely need, but it allowed me to fly over my parents house as a bonus

No “action” whatsoever followed since…

Last Edited by MedEwok at 10 Dec 05:19
Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

MedEwok wrote:

The only written thing I’ve read is that fines up to 50.000€ are possible.

While this is absolutely correct, one has to keep in mind that the comparable “fine” for reckless driving is up to 5 years in jail!

Germany

Malibuflyer wrote:

While this is absolutely correct, one has to keep in mind that the comparable “fine” for reckless driving is up to 5 years in jail!

Right on. IIRC, an airspace infringement can also land you in jail if you are found to be endangering others (Gefährdung des Luftverkehrs). This would probably be reserved to reckless cases such as crossing the extended centreline of Frankfurt, Düsseldorf, Munich or other major airports at 1000ft a few km from the threshold, NORDO, just in front of a landing A320 or so…

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

The UK November numbers are out. Miserable wx in November so clearly the new policy is not doing anything useful

The sentencing looks better now

I can’t see gasco bothering for much longer to do these small numbers.

Interesting to see 5 pilots who were MORd getting let off, presumably by producing a GPS track, or perhaps an ATC recording.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It seems “they” may have listened to some of the comments. However, I suspect the jury is out until activities retrun to something more close to normality.

Someone I vaguely know recommended this UK airspace infringement course (free after registration), but I’ve only seen the preview as sample below:

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Well, as we all know, the above text is mostly bollocks

They could be running a prep for the CAA online exam (the one with the bogus questions) but as the CAA stats show very few people are being given that exam these days. The % of those let off totally seems to be zero, and of the rest most either get the warning letter or get sent to gasco.

So these people are either woefully uninformed (in which case I must question the value of that whole thing) or disingenuous… or maybe the CAA fed them garbage about the current process? I have emailed them to advise them

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Capitaine wrote:

Someone I vaguely know

I forgot to add, a person who also recommended the Gasco course

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

I’d love to know where they get that “is legally obliged to give the authorities the details of the pilot flying” from. There’s nothing I’ve seen in the ANO.

Andreas IOM
Sign in to add your message