Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

National CAA policies around Europe on busting pilots who bust controlled airspace (and danger areas)

You still have purple airways?
Is it such a good idea to tell the bad guys exactly where the Royal Personages are going to fly?
AFAIK abolished some years ago, for exactly the reason you give. It was a truly stupid idea all along, born out of the “ancient culture” of certain parts of the UK landed gentry (lovely photo there) and their armed forces association traditions.

Purple airways abolished donkey’s years ago.
Nowadays they simply use temporary class D.
Because it’s temporary, and because it’s in obvious locations like outbound from Kemble, the bad guys still know what the royals are up to, and what time they’re up to it.

Egnm, United Kingdom

From what I have seen I suspect a lot of the old royal flight “CAS” is not being used anymore, with the (usually) helicopter flying quietly in Class G.

I was once visiting a friend living “up there” and he pointed out the heli in which Prince Charles was going to lunch, apparently almost every day and well known to locals.

Protection via “temp CAS” would not be effective anyway because the terrorists will find it even more useful, and with most of the “low level” community flying without wx, notams, txp, below the radar both metaphorically and literally, and with helicopters also flying low down…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

However I have seen specific helicopter routes notamed with the precise routes depicted on nav apps!

Egnm, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

The US is a different example; they have great tools (like Foreflight, which has some way to go in Europe)

Peter, SkyDemon is quite OK in that sense – shows all the areas, updated regularly etc.

EGTR

Peter wrote:

Does the GTX330 have this feature?

I don’t know for the GTX330, but it’s in the GTX335. In fact you have to use this feature when installing the transponder, or the transponder will not work at all – at least if you’re using the Garmin GAE12 encoder. Basically, it’s a correction table of what the encoder says versus what the altimeter says, so you can calibrate it. The service ceiling set in the transponder’s configuration determines the number of calibration points. The information is in the IM for the Garmin GTX335. I’d have to imagine many modern transponder/encoder combinations have some way to calibrate them via the front panel configuration menus.

Andreas IOM

August “sentencing” data is out

More business for the Gasco “charity”, with 9 customers.

Interesting they are running some sort of “practical training”. This I have not seen before. It could be the “redo some of the PPL” option which was used on the bad cases.

The online tutorial and test is the well known online exam, 45 secs per question, rigged to fail, and with a lot of bogus questions.

To my amazement, with CV19, Gasco are still listing the courses at https://gasco.w4x4.com/

and there is no indication they are not running

which would be incredibly irresponsible, packing everyone into a room.

The four PDFs:

Course_Description_AL1_pdf
About_the_Airspace_Infringements_Awareness_Course_pdf
Terms_Conditions_28rev_1_20_29_pdf
Course_Programme_AL1_pdf

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Interesting they are running some sort of “practical training”.

It is in the stats since June 2019. Not used every month. 1 or 2 “recipients” on average.

Nympsfield, United Kingdom

Any info on what it is?

Administrator

Yes, thank goodness they got rid of the purples I had overlooked this as I did wonder if the consequences would be a “special” GASCo course for said infringers.

Airborne_Again wrote:

Because its members keep voting for him? I looked at their [AOPA’s] website and their latest published AGM minutes (2018) showed 15 members in attendance. Maybe that’s the problem? OTOH that means that would be very easy for a small group of members to oust the current regime, if they cared, which apparently they do not.

Shouldn’t be too hard to get together a small group from this forum. I’d be more than happy to join and nominate someone like @Peter for the board.

S57
EGBJ, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message