Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Guy buys and flies his own Harrier

Great video, just a shame that he was a little guarded about the true provenance of the great BRITISH harrier. (Not the one he bought but the harrier in general).
Another fantastic British icon tossed on the scrap heap.
What’s left?

Forever learning
EGTB

What’s left?

Concorde (scrapped)
Rolls-Royce (BMW now)
Bentley (Volkswagen now)
Mini (BMW)
Jaguar (Chinese)
Football (let’s not talk about it)

Now I found what is left: a referendum!

Nestor,

belongs to the air force museum under civil registration via a club I belive, so private is pushing it a bit.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Is there really nothing left in the UK? That must be why everyone seems to want to come and live here then!

• Fastest growing economy in Europe
  • Lowest unemployment
  • Creating more jobs than all other European countries
  • Health service free at the point of demand
  • Free and democratic country
  • Strong and independent currency

Yes there really isn’t anything left at all is there!

By the way Jaguar Land Rover is owned by Tata Motors not the Chinese

EGBW, United Kingdom

I would also add

• transparency in the corporate and public sectors
  • to a member of the public, a near-total lack of corruption
  • to a businessman, a near-total lack of corruption unless dealing with some bits of the old nationalised industries

whereas most of southern Europe (and one “northern-ish” country) is corrupt and nepotic to varying degrees, at every level.

The UK produced great engineers but failed to capitalise on it, largely because it has not been fashionable to be successful. In our 20s, if you said to a girl you were an engineer, you would not see her for dust We used to laugh at this… being “unemployed” was much more trendy. That has changed, but way too late.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

John R, and Peter, I admire your thoughts, but seriously, do you actually believe that? At every level, everything is corrupt, or is the BBC, and other media outlets, making up the banking scandals, the political scandals, and, oh, the endemic child abuse. Not to mention crippling UK child poverty? And the make believe, job numbers.

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

John and Peter, you guys are talking about Switzerland, right?

There was a good article on the ft a while ago on how one might do it in the UK (owning a fighter jet)

http://howtospendit.ft.com/planes/28853-as-good-as-it-jets

The author estimates that running a MK58 would be around £20K a month (excluding parts and fuel). Not far off from Peter’s TB20

There are several Swedish ex-AF jets on civil register: SAAB 29 “Barrel”, SAAB 35 Draken, SAAB 37 Viggen and others. Not privately owned, though, but owned by an association (Swedish Air Force Historic Flight)

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Beechbaby,

Yes I do actually believe it and I think that the UK is a great country to live and work. I travel extensively to both the US and Asia and I always find it wonderful to come home to the UK. I find it sad and annoying that so many people want to try and rubbish our great country. If you don’t like it go and live somewhere else.

EGBW, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message