Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Greek Airports (being sold to FRAPORT in Germany) and many new problems

@petakas

Swissport (handling 25€ discounted for AOPA members), notified few days earlier with slight change of plan 12 hours prior to arrival (changed destination after Corfu from Athens to Heraklion but I guess it’s not important), weekend (surcharge 5€), IFR, 2 passengers (24€ – it’s not much), only hand luggage carried by us, one invoice was issued.

IMO landing was supposed to be 62€ and permission to land shouldn’t be charged on top of landing fee. That would reduce the bill to 130€.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I think that the PPR fee above is in fact the dreaded IFR slot thing that we have been talking about here previously. Corfu always seems to come up in this context. A bad place, I stand by that opinion.

Anyway it is, charging 61€ for obtaining that is a scandal.

It would be interesting how they made 71€ out of the 50€ lamding fee as per the pricelist.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

@Emir if you are willing to help for future pilots, please send to info(at)aopa.gr the copy of the invoice asking them to check on it against published prices of FRAPORT and SWISSPORT. They should be able to have a check on the issue.

@boscomantico yes I agree about the 61, thats all I can say for now.

LGMG Megara, Greece

I will send it today. What do you suggest AOPA Greece or International?

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

AOPA Greece info[at]aopa.gr

LGMG Megara, Greece

Sent.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

While AOPA Greece is getting feedback on @Emir ’s charges (who flew in to Kerkyra LGKR the 2 days after the FRAPORT privatization commenced) their information pages have been updated as I can see.

www.aopa.gr/Info
I can see updates in paragraphs 12.b and 23.

The handlers started charging 40~60 Euro for PPRs and IFR slots.
IFR slots issue was discussed here last year. The difference now is that it has become a de facto requirement for GA flights in busy (non winter) months and especially in FRAPORT airports.
PPR you can get on your own from FRAPORT via email and there will be no charge from handlers on this (I can smell they want to avoid it and hence the outrageous charge). The really bad practice would be if it were compulsory via Handling Agent.
IFR SLOT you need the handler the cost is 50~60 Euro
When handler pays FRAPORT for you they add some ~12% disbursement fees for doing this. This is another hidden cost which is covered in the handling agreements (para 3.1)

SWISSPORT charge more than GOLDAIR for PPR handling but as I said (as I can see for now by searching) you can do the PPR on your own.
FRAPORT have already issued PPR NOTAMs for most of their “busy” Greek airports hence VFR and IFR have to go this path but in the NOTAMs they give the contact email and details for the PPR request.

Example for LGKR:

A0800/17 – DUE TO PARKING CONSTRAINTS, GENERAL/BUSINESS AVIATION AND
MILITARY FLIGHTS MUST REQUEST WRITTEN APPROVAL PPR CLEARED
EXCLUSIVELY THROUGH A HANDLING AGENT/REPRESENTATIVE.THE REQUEST
BY THE HANDLING AGENT/REPRESENTATIVE MUST BE SUBMITTED TO
LGKR OPERATOR VIA THE FOLLOWING E-MAIL CFUPPR AT FRAPORT-GREECE.COM
48 HOURS PRIOR TO ARRIVAL, STATING.
1.THE HANDLING AGENT/REPRESENTATIVE
2.REGISTRATION
3.AIRCRAFT TYPE AND MTOW
4.DATE AND TIME OF ARRIVAL-DEPARTURE.
STATE,MEDICAL AND FLIGHTS DECLARING EMERGENCY ARE EXCLUDED. 12 APR 06:13 2017
UNTIL 11 JUL 21:00 2017. CREATED: 12 APR 06:21 2017

In this case we are the representative.

This is how Emir ended up with 207 Euro for a short visit to Kerkyra LGKR with two passengers whereas in the past (public airport) it would have been some 50~70 Euro (incl. passengers tax).
Self handling of PPR would have subtracted 62 Euro from it.

The grim reality of the private sector.

Last Edited by petakas at 22 Apr 11:57
LGMG Megara, Greece

Really sad to see the Greek airports shafted like that.

What is happening with the others eg Samos, Sitia…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Last I heard they were in the next (potential) pack to be privatized but nothing significant has been heard about it since.

LGMG Megara, Greece

Samos probably makes money so they will want to revenue-skim that one, but surely not Sitia? They aren’t likely to be interested in the small-traffic airports.

The grim reality of the private sector.

I’d say it is being bent over a barrel and shafted, having found oneself in a weak financial position.

With decent range one can avoid Corfu on most trips, but it would be really bad if Samos gets buggered because it is the only port of entry in that area with avgas. Sitia to Croatia is doable but not with a lot of headwind.

We are doing a Greek fly-in in September, and I think most people will use Samos for the port of entry plus avgas.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message