Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

GPS jamming and spoofing and relying on GPS, and GPS backup plan ?

Nah – he’s supplementing his new job with being a French aeroclub instructor. That’s what they all believe.

I had unpleasant experience with LOI during RNP approach in IMC at LTFG, so I’m pretty sure I’d be very uncomfortable losing GPS even in VMC.

Last Edited by Emir at 26 Mar 19:43
LDZA LDVA, Croatia
flying any distance in Europe without GPS is practically impossible, except in very rare cases like following the coast.

not sure if the above counts as Europe but the red encircled part was completely “GPS free”
One has to fly with whatever is available

Poland

Spoofing put me at OLBA (while actually flying northbound in Greece).

always learning
LO__, Austria

You are pulling the guy’s leg

Nah – he’s supplementing his new job with being a French aeroclub instructor. That’s what they all believe.

LFMD, France

you should be OK navigating visually

You are pulling the guy’s leg… flying any distance in Europe without GPS is practically impossible, except in very rare cases like following the coast.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

BlueOcean wrote:

Rookie pilot here, flying VFR in a SEP, with WAAS GNSS and Skydemon

Of course it’s great to use GNSS during VFR flight but OTOH flying VFR you should be OK navigating visually.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I am going to keep my ADF ;-), Just saw today a new airline route to LHPP and they were flying an NDB approach the RWY 16 due to strong winds, it allows only for LPV or NDB..guess they don’t have SBAS LPV on the dash-8 and for sure when GPS signal is spoofed you can forget RNP…

EBST

According to a Eurocontrol conference I went to years ago, the Plan is

• ATC radar
  • DME/DME

That was for airliners. GA would use the 1st one; the 2nd one has no product on the market.

It’s also especially true over the Black Sea.

No sh*it Sherlock

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

BlueOcean wrote:

and wonder what I should expect?

Definitely expect to use a backup plan, and have a backup for the backup ! (VOR, etc.)
I would also say expect to lose a lot of information you normally get via GPS (GS, time to destination, synthetic vision, etc.)

This is corroborated as I’m hearing by airline pilots who suffer hours long outages (and on modern airliners, a lot of systems rely on GPS, not just navigation).
It’s also especially true over the Black Sea.

France

Hi
Rookie pilot here, flying VFR in a SEP, with WAAS GNSS and Skydemon
(and, a paper map as well, of course )

I will be flying in the dark red areas tomorrow,
and wonder what I should expect?
Will my Skydemon track look like a seismograph during a Richter scale 8 earthquake?

Anyone with experience?

Cheers//jr

Sweden
298 Posts
Sign in to add your message