Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin Pilot Guide mandatory?

Hi,

we asked our (going to be) former maintenance shop at our field to update the firmware of the GTN750 in our Cessna. They confirmed but stated that it is mandatory to deliver the pilot guide with the update. Ok, we thought until we saw the invoice for more than EUR200 FOR A BOOK?? WTF? We don’t need a stinking manual – we’re men and don’t read it anyway..

Can anyone confirm their stance?

Thanks
Martin

EDLN and EDKB

Sounds to me like a perfect “trained response” a long the lines of
-we have always done it that way
-it cant be done any other way
-it’s all according to the manufacturer’s instructions

Cost me 30 secs to locate and download the POH

I would not pay the invoice incl this item
:-)

EDM_, Germany

I keep my required documents on my iPad. Most AFMS call them out as a limitation, which makes them regulatory for N reg to have on board. I download all I need from the Garmin website for free.

KUZA, United States

Indeed. To fly single pilot in the Mustang you must have the Garmin pilot guide on board and within reach of the pilot normally seated.

EGTK Oxford

Although carrying the appropriate avionics manuals is required, I can’t think of a single time I or anyone else has ever referred to them in flight. At least now the extra weight is merely electrons and there is no additional cockpit clutter. I would also venture to say that very few pilots in the US comply, much less know about the requirement and I am probably one of the few that does. For that matter, most pilots don’t know where their AFMS is and have never read it.

KUZA, United States

mrfacts wrote:

we asked our (going to be) former maintenance shop at our field to update the firmware of the GTN750 in our Cessna. They confirmed but stated that it is mandatory to deliver the pilot guide with the update. Ok, we thought until we saw the invoice for more than EUR200 FOR A BOOK?? WTF? We don’t need a stinking manual – we’re men and don’t read it anyway..

Can anyone confirm their stance?

I got a similar reply from a Swedish avionics shop for firmware update on a G1000.

I suspect it is a requirement that you have a manual corresponding to your firmware version so that the aircraft wouldn’t be considered airworthy after the update unless you had the new manual.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

mrfacts wrote:

We don’t need a stinking manual – we’re men and don’t read it anyway..

ch.ess wrote:

Sounds to me like a perfect “trained response” a long the lines of
-we have always done it that way
-it cant be done any other way
-it’s all according to the manufacturer’s instructions

Those are brave statements I suggest to read the Aircraft Flight Manual, including the supplement for the Garmin installation. It will tell your something along the lines of “the Garmin Cockpit Reference Guide must be immediately available to the flight crew”.

Last Edited by Archie at 12 Mar 01:12

mrfacts wrote:

We don’t need a stinking manual – we’re men and don’t read it anyway..

I do hope you meant it just as a joke (using the stereotypical image that we don’t read manuals just as we don’t ever ask for directions). How else would you accomplish familiarization?

Airborne_Again wrote:

I got a similar reply from a Swedish avionics shop for firmware update on a G1000.

Then I would suggest they deliver it in an electronic form, free of charge. Or give me the ID so I can get it from Garmin directly or the airframe manufacturer (sometimes they are installation specific) – assuming I don’t already have the right version.

Thanks for your replies gents,
Of course the “stinking manuals” was a joke. I like the smell of any product made from natural resources..

ok, ok we DID have a pilot’s guide already which was part of the original delivery a couple of years ago. First I don’t think that the firmware update warrants a new manual but maybe an addendum just as Cessna handles their addenda to their pilot’s guide.
The other thing which left me speechless was that the shop who we have finally said our good-byes to never thought it necessary to check whether we wanted such an expensive book.

EDLN and EDKB
9 Posts
Sign in to add your message