Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin 1000 Training

Can anyone recommend any Garmin 1000 quick training guides, apps or software (Mac)? I’ve downloaded the official guides and got one cheap ipad app which simulates the PFD, however some of the guides and software to buy are really pricey. I’m trying to read up before DA42 conversion next month. Thanks

Now retired from forums best wishes

I used the Garmin 1000 for the PC – dont know whether they have a Mac version but I guess it would run under BootCamp.

Works perfectly and everything you need to be a self taught expert. I have said for some time get totally proficient with it on the simulator rather than waste time in the cockpit, makes the time spent flying so much more productive.

I reviewed some Youtube videos, which I found useful. I also aquired a training CD, which I believe is available by request from Diamond. I learned G1000 first in the Caravan, and then cross country in a DA-42. It does take a few hours to get used to. My best advice is to seek out a few hours right seat first, so you can learn the G1000, while a pilot actually flies, and watches for traffic.

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

The PC simulator is very good. That together with the G1000 pilot manual will help you learn almost everything you need. The rest comes with experience and an occasional peek in the manual.

LFPT, LFPN

As mentioned, I agree with the PC simulator. The hardest part for myself was G1000 IFR with procedures. The first couple of times I did get a “what the heck is it doing now” feeling and that’s not something I’d want in IMC conditions at foreign airports (flew IFR in VMC conditions on a calm day at that occasion). A G1000 proficient pilot in the RHS is not a bad idea or vice versa as Pilot_DAR points out.

I’ve had two major difficulties learning the G1000.

One is the proliferation of different possible ways to activate functions: hardkeys, softkeys, menu choices etc.. There does not seem to be any system in that – you just have to learn what particular way is used for each particular function.

The other is that I couldn’t figure out VNAV until I realised that VNAV doesn’t work with some kinds of path-terminators – intercepts are some of them, also all involving headings. The manual does say, but it’s very easy to miss. So if you have a STAR which is includes e.g. a heading intercept at some point, VNAV won’t work over that point.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I have the PC simulator, but could not find an airport with a GNSS approach. Is it that my version is too old? Or could you recommend airports that come with a GNSS approach on the PC simulator?

I’ve had two major difficulties learning the G1000.

One is the proliferation of different possible ways to activate functions: hardkeys, softkeys, menu choices etc.. There does not seem to be any system in that – you just have to learn what particular way is used for each particular function.

The other is that I couldn’t figure out VNAV until I realised that VNAV doesn’t work with some kinds of path-terminators – intercepts are some of them, also all involving headings. The manual does say, but it’s very easy to miss. So if you have a STAR which is includes e.g. a heading intercept at some point, VNAV won’t work over that point.

Sounds like you are learning the G1000 just fine. Welcome to 1998 technology in 2015.

It is quirky but it works. You just have to learn how.

EGTK Oxford

I’ve been flying with G1000 for a few years, and I am still learning new things about it. One example is that I was really annoyed about the fact that when I left the chartview for some other page, and then went back to the chartview, I had to select the appropriate chart over again. Then someone tipped me that if I went to chartview from the airport information page, then I would get right back to the correct chart after having consulted some other page.

I also had totally forgotten about the STD BARO feature (PFD→STD BARO) so I used to just change the barometric pressure using the baro dial.

You basically need to learn the G1000 so you can actually use it in flight, and then from time to time swift through the manual to see if you can learn something new…

LFPT, LFPN

JasonC wrote:

Sounds like you are learning the G1000 just fine. Welcome to 1998 technology in 2015.

It is quirky but it works. You just have to learn how.

Are the Garmin G600’s any better? (as in more 2015 technology) The G600 is the dual 6.5" setup, anyone got experience with those.

13 Posts
Sign in to add your message