Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

GA Airports around London

Fernando wrote:

Is handling mandatory for a single engine piston?

The current pdf has a line which says: “(3) Mandatory handling for non-based aircraft MTOW over 6,001kgs”. We did not have to pay any handling yesterday but then we had to walk 50m to the terminal and had to pay the landing charges in the ops office instead of the fancy front desk ;-)

The most crazy charge is “SkyPets” which costs “£275 first pet (£110 per subsequent pet)”. I have no idea what this includes.

But all this seems to be the poor peoples place anyway. On the other side they have this second FBO facility which probably costs for a single operation more than some SEP alltogether:
https://www.jetex.com/network/london-uk/

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Historically, any aircraft below 3.5 tons was exempt from mandatory handling. But the current fees and charges doc does not make that clear any more. Nor does the AIP or the airport T&Cs. I would check with them.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

@boscomantico, the fees are really steep! Is handling mandatory for a single engine piston?

EGSU, United Kingdom

Every year, they increase their fees by about 15%. Been going on for the last 8 years or so. They clearly have a plan to price out light GA, but in order to avoid making too big waves, they spread this out over many years.

The silly „Border Levy“ alone is now 25 Pounds for light aircraft.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 21 Aug 19:46
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I have been to EGKB today after a long time. There was some piston activity but the place is packed with big jets. We got parked next to a Phenom 300 and that looked a bit tiny compared to all the others. Our PA46 was the smallest plane on the ramp by far and the charges are quite steep. For us it is ok as the JetA1 is so much cheaper than at home so 150 pound sin fees does not matter much but for a local VFR flight…

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

A lot depends on what sort of plane you fly.

I used to fly into Panshanger and if there was any rain beforehand, the plane would be covered in sh1t. This is OK if

• you fly a fixed gear plane and you don’t care
  • you don’t care

If you fly a STOL plane then there probably are a fair few strips around London. Most won’t be on the map…

If you fly an SR22 then you probably want tarmac.

The other problem is that many owners in the London area have positively loads of money, which drives the present situation.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

And just think about the good old days…
Radlett, Kenley, Wisley, Panshanger, Brooklands, Leavesden…..

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

I’m trying to reassess options for short and long-term parking close to London (Victoria Station area), with tarmac runways

If that is a sine qua non then, regrettably, Rochester [EGTO] is off limits – otherwise it fits your requirements perfectly.

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

Southend was accessible before it got Easyjet. After that there was a risk of it going the way of Luton or Stansted. So it needs to get back to the pre-EJ days. Some commercial traffic.

One cannot park a decent plane outdoors long-term.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

For non-residents overnight apron parking, these seem the last prices (+/-VAT): Denham 9£, Biggin 20£, Fairoaks 25£, Elstree 25£.

United Kingdom
105 Posts
Sign in to add your message