Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

GA Airports around London

Peter Day from hangar homes has a string of failed planning applications behind him.

Although I much admire his perseverance, the UK planners will never be as enlightened as the States and France in this regard.

http://hangarhomes.co.uk/index.html

Egnm, United Kingdom

I’ve just taken my plane back to UK after Covid, and I’m trying to reassess options for short and long-term parking close to London (Victoria Station area), with tarmac runways and decently priced Avgas. The usual list used to be: Biggin (now become expensive), Elstree, Denham, Fairoaks.

United Kingdom

A bit further – Wycombe Air Park, but other than that I know of nothing else. I think that Southend will be as expensive as Biggin (may be even more expensive).

EGTR

Is hangarage available at Biggin at all, or without being tied to the hangar owner doing your maintenance?

Biggin is a great airport, good opening times, not impossibly expensive, but if the “ground politics” is like I hear, it’s terrible.

15 years ago another TB20 owner was paying 7k hangarage at Southend. But otherwise a great airport too (no idea of the landing fees but thankfully they have lost both Easyjet and Flybe!).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

no idea of the landing fees but thankfully they have lost both Easyjet and Flybe!

Around £30, so not expensive. Although I’m not sure it is good they’ve lost the airlines – they can’t stay open for long without those.

EGTR

For non-residents overnight apron parking, these seem the last prices (+/-VAT): Denham 9£, Biggin 20£, Fairoaks 25£, Elstree 25£.

United Kingdom

Southend was accessible before it got Easyjet. After that there was a risk of it going the way of Luton or Stansted. So it needs to get back to the pre-EJ days. Some commercial traffic.

One cannot park a decent plane outdoors long-term.

Administrator

I’m trying to reassess options for short and long-term parking close to London (Victoria Station area), with tarmac runways

If that is a sine qua non then, regrettably, Rochester [EGTO] is off limits – otherwise it fits your requirements perfectly.

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

And just think about the good old days…
Radlett, Kenley, Wisley, Panshanger, Brooklands, Leavesden…..

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

A lot depends on what sort of plane you fly.

I used to fly into Panshanger and if there was any rain beforehand, the plane would be covered in sh1t. This is OK if

• you fly a fixed gear plane and you don’t care
  • you don’t care

If you fly a STOL plane then there probably are a fair few strips around London. Most won’t be on the map…

If you fly an SR22 then you probably want tarmac.

The other problem is that many owners in the London area have positively loads of money, which drives the present situation.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message