Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

G-reg ownership requirements

What are the requirement for owning a G-reg?

I am certain there is no citizenship requirement, like the US has for N-regs.

But there may be a requirement for a UK address.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I think it is British and Commonwealth citizens.

EGTK Oxford

I think it is British and Commonwealth citizens.

You can't discriminate EU citizens... plenty of Germans with G-reg aircraft.

I am certain citizenship doesn't come into it, otherwise we would have the issue of what passport you hold. This has never come up to my knowledge.

I think it is the residence address of the owner, which can obviously be a person or a company. But I can't find the reference.

And an address is rather easy to arrange!

Administrator

I don't believe there is any requirement for a British or Commonwealth address. I am a member of a group in Ireland which has a UK registered C172. We own it through an Irish company. There was no problem registering the aircraft using the company's Irish address and Ireland is not part of the Commonwealth. All written communications from the CAA have been sent to the Irish address.

I was half right (which is also known as being wrong):

Nationals and companies of the UK, European Economic Area and the British Commonwealth are classed as "qualified" to be entered on the UK Register as owners or charterers by demise.

Owners that are not "qualified" are eligible for registration (subject to certain operational restrictions) if they are a permanent resident of, or have a place of business, in the United Kingdom.

EGTK Oxford

Can an EU resident keep a G reg with an EU address ?

I have a client that’s looking to by a G reg’d plane and he’d like to keep it on G reg for 3 to 6 months before going to another reg.

So the Q: Can an EU resident keep on G reg with an EU address ?

Thanks !

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Yes; one “exceedingly famous” German pilot with a royal name is/was keeping a G-reg SR22 in Germany for years.

Post brexit however these may be “third country” aircraft, so “n-reg” restrictions may apply.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Post brexit however these may be “third country” aircraft, so “n-reg” restrictions may apply.

I’d guess we can keep the status-quo ’till 12/2020

EBST, Belgium

Michael wrote:

Can an EU resident keep on G reg with an EU address ?

Until the 29th of May next year I’d say yes. Thereafter it’s anyone’s guess what will happen. But for a few months as you write, it should be possible.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message