Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

From VFR holding to threshold procedure

I am often conflicted on what to do when transitioning between a VFR Holding and Runway Circuit if nothing is published at large airports.

Take a look at the example on the picture. What would you do lets say if you are landing on 23?

1. Exit holding and join right down wind ?
2. Exit holding cross midfield and then join left down wind ?
3. Something entirely different ?
4. Ask the Tower with the question ? “Derp Tower, Derp Call sign, Request crossing midfield to join left hand downwind ?”

I find the “circuit” procedure not often defined in bigger european airports. There is just a “VFR hold” somewhere around a runway and thats it. No published procedures what to do after. Tower just instructs “Proceed to to threshold X”. But there are usually a few ways to get there :)

See picture for explanation (there is nothing in the AIP that I can find). The airport in my example is LDZA (Zagreb).

Last Edited by agentfly1 at 27 Jan 15:25

Good question. I would interpret “direct to threshold R23” as a right downwind, right base configuration. However, it practical terms I have found that Tower usually gives more information, such as “proceed right downwind or right base for R23”. I would be hesitant to cross the runway without explicit instructions to do so.

Sans aircraft at the moment :-(, United Kingdom

Tower just instructs “Proceed to to threshold X”. But there are usually a few ways to get there :)

If that’s what the tower says I would proceed at my own discretion (within reasonable limits, obviously) depending on what’s most convenient at the time and place.

I’ve gotten “Proceed to right base runway XX” before and then that’s what I’d do…

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

If unsure just ask but is there not radar there? I agree that it would seem right downwind/base for 23 makes sense.

Last Edited by JasonC at 27 Jan 15:44
EGTK Oxford

I would take “proceed threshold XX” as “take the shortest route from holding point to threshold XX”, definitely not anything involving overflying the runway axis.

I would take “proceed threshold XX” as “take the shortest route from holding point to threshold XX”, definitely not anything involving overflying the runway axis.

Yeah thats what I think as well. But then I start thinking how far do I go beyond abeam the threshold point before I turn base. It all seems a little awkward to me. Usually I end up getting real close and diving in kamikaze style full flaps and throttle off, slipping in for a glorious “get the hell out of the way” of big plane traffic landing :) …

If you don’t need to land on the numbers (most often you don’t) no need to dive kamikaze style – absent any contrary indication from tower, start a descending turn direct to final once abeam and aim for a spot 300m before the first taxiway in order to minimise runway occupancy.

how far do I go beyond abeam the threshold point before I turn base

until you can just see the threshold over your shoulder – theoretically at your 7:30 o’clock (or 4:30 on a righthand circuit) i.e. at 135 degrees.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

I would ask TWR, “confirm right hand circuit”.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
11 Posts
Sign in to add your message