Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Footage of the recent Lancair 235 OE-CEH emergency landing in Carinthia

Released today:

Interview with the pilot, in German (well, sort of) here.

ASN

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Well handled. No panic, using turns to loose height, sticking to the plan.

I wonder if in such shallow snow, I would not have tried gear down, but maybe it wasn’t known how deep it was, and more importantly it worked for them gear up so again, well done.

Good looking plane – hope it flies again.

Last Edited by denopa at 09 Mar 21:17
EGTF, LFTF

The snow did not appear smooth once close. Wheels up probably a good idea.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Nice landing!

always learning
LO__, Austria

Super job. Anyone else holding their breath waiting for it to stop before running out of space?

Forever learning
EGTB

Nicely done and the best you can pull with good height management, the terrain ahead looks a bit steep, not sure when things start to go bad but it looks like a lucky timing?

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

denopa wrote:

I wonder if in such shallow snow, I would not have tried gear down, but maybe it wasn’t known how deep it was,

Perhaps even more importantly: You don’t know what’s under the snow. Therefore to land gear up is exactly the right decision even in hindsight.

Germany

Malibuflyer wrote:

Perhaps even more importantly: You don’t know what’s under the snow. Therefore to land gear up is exactly the right decision even in hindsight.

Couldn’t agree more. Seeing that snow-covered field I would certainly not have lowered the gear. The prop was already dead anyway and you don’t do much damage to the belly sliding on snow. I’m sure that airplane will fly again soon. I kinda liked the comment of the pilot, wrt the prop though: I thought a quality product from Germany would last longer… (he apparently had a similar experience with a US prop some years ago – which in itself must be pretty rare to have TWO prop failures in one pilot life!)

Gear up is best technique. Just minor fuselage damages. Perfect!

http://www.Bornholm.Aero
EKRN, Denmark

TWO prop failures

In the same plane ?

EGTF, LFTF
30 Posts
Sign in to add your message