Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Anyone flying to dog shows?

Hi there!

This summer I decided to start show carier for my dogs and considering flying to some far destinations with my airplane. My breed is not that big (welsh corgi pembrokes and cardigans) so C172 can handle them well. If anyone has experience with such type of trips, could you please share it:

1. How you accomodate your dog in airplane (cabin, baggage, cage)
2. Airports (restrictions, security checks, veterinary control, “green” madness)
3. Ground logistics (card rental, taxi, public transport restrictions in different countries)
4. Ground accomodation (hotels, local laws such as "you can’t leave your dog alone)

Would be nice to read your stories :)

Last Edited by pshz at 25 Jun 11:08
EVCA

I have some experience – but not for show purposes.

1. My dog is accustom to flying and happy to settle down on the seat. I do worry about the noice level but it doesnt appear to cause any distress. I know some people use some means of protecting the dog’s ears.
2. I guess you are in Latvia, and I cant comment within your country. I assume as in the UK within the same country it isnt an issue. Any where else and I guess within Europe it also isnt and issue. Movement to and from the UK is a significant problem (I can comment on that if you wish). As ever if in doubt a call often helps. I will say moving dogs to the UK from Europe is a very expensive excercise on a non public carrier, and only possible to a very few ports of entry, and a pet passport is of little help.
3 and 4. Again, I think the only way is a call. I have found some places, taxis etc very welcoming other a flat no dogs allowed.

I am sorry I cant be more helpful.

Funnily enough my wife was talking about this yesterday. Meet Bastian, flying??? I think not…..

Oh, he is now twice this size.

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

I was thinking about starting a dog flying thread recently. I can’t suggest anything for you but I have been thinking about taking my dog Emil flying with me. I fuelled the aircraft the night before a trip and he joined me for the taxi to the pumps and back to parking, he settled down immediately just like being in the car and the noise didn’t seem to be a problem either. The only thing stopping me taking him flying for the day is the noise in flight – I don’t want to damage his hearing.

Will be following this thread with interest!

EDLN/EDLF, Germany

There is this interesting NGO in the US called pilots n paws. They fly dogs all over the US from kill shelters to their new homes…

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

I take my dogs on board time to time with me and longest flight was to EETN airport. I would say, that security check in this airport is something horrible. They ask to put collars and other dog’s stuff to scanner and bring somehow dog through the frame. And lot’s of tourists all around… Fortunately I have corgi’s, not german shepards. Otherwise it could be lethal for someone….

To protect ears we use stuff like this: https://www.pilotmall.com/collections/mutt-muffs

EVCA

pshz wrote:

Otherwise it could be lethal for someoneā€¦.

My thoughts entirely. Who ate the two security guards springs to mind. Actually he is just a big fun loving ball of fluff, until he barks at someone, which is rare. Sorry great idea, but mines is just too big, and would tend to be a PITA on a long trip. Also we find he is better secured in his cage in trips in the car. Cannot see me getting a large dog crate in the Bonanza, despite its very, very, useful load.

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

pshz wrote:

EETN airport. I would say, that security check in this airport is something horrible.

Did you enter through the GA gate or the main terminal? No tourists at the GA gate usually..
EETU, Estonia

ivark wrote:

Did you enter through the GA gate or the main terminal? No tourists at the GA gate usually..

You can enter through the GA gate as a visitor? I was at EETN a few years ago and had a truly bizarre experience at the security check. One of the security officers freaked out when he discovered that one of my pax didn’t have a boarding card. It took several minutes of explaining from both his colleagues and the handling agent accompanying us before he accepted that a GA flight didn’t need boarding cards.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

@ivark I think it’s possible when you’re based in EETN. Being visitor I need to get in touch with handling agent for everything…

EVCA
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message