Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

New Member - Speed from Spain

UNpeople wrote:

Some pilots here advised turning transponder to mode C (on) when flying VFR in uncontrolled airspace and to S (ALT) when entering controlled airspace. Is it true?

If you have a traditional transponder “ON” is mode A, while “ALT” is mode A+C. If you have a mode S transponder, additionally “ON” doesn’t transmit altitude with the mode S replies, while “ALT” does.

I don’t see why you should ever fly without altitude reporting turned on. (Unless it is incorrect.) That is also contradictory to SERA.

Surprisingly I can’t find any mention of transponder procedures in AIP-Spain.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

It is a pity regarding the admin attitude on GA. Spain could be Europe’s Florida or California of flight training (having flown a lot in FL and CA, I remember hearing very frequently cadets from Asian and European airlines training there).

ASMEL-IA (FAA)
Spain

Yes; Spain (like Greece actually) should be “GA heaven”. It has the wx, the scenery, vast empty airspaces…

AFAIK the schools in Spain were mostly (totally?) set up and run from N Europe. The two main ones I know of were run from the UK and Austria.

Welcome to EuroGA, LEMD49

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Welcome Speed, sounds like you’re living the life!

Forever learning
EGTB

Bienvenido Velocidad!

Another fellow Spaniard here! I moved bases to the UK but started my flying in LEJR and flew all around Southern Spain, Portugal and Northern Africa. Beautiful flying in that area, lots to do and see.

I also flew about 30h in an Arrrow III (non turbo). Capable aircraft, a Turbo Arrow with good avionics and AP is a great machine for touring.

EDDW, Germany

Peter wrote:

Yes; Spain (like Greece actually) should be “GA heaven”. It has the wx, the scenery, vast empty airspaces…

The problem is dealing with the administration, the lack of GA airfields and the general lack of aviation culture like for instance the UK has (with all its flaws regarding airspace, OCAS/CAS etc., the GA scene in the UK is actually great and very much alive).

Another huge problem in Spain is renting aircraft. Of course if you own your own you’ll be mostly fine, but if you just got a PPL it’s almost impossible to do anything meaningful with an aircraft here:

• Many schools won’t rent to people who didn’t do their training with them
  • Many clubs will insist on flying with a safety pilot on the right seat (which you have to pay of course)
  • Many clubs won’t let you take an aircraft more than 50 NM away.
  • The general pompous CFI “you’re too inexperienced to do that difficult trip son, you better stay in the circuit for 50 hours and then we’ll see” attitude prevails.
  • Even if all the above weren’t true, lack of a rental market in general. Just finding an aircraft is difficult, and depending where you are based could be outright impossible. For instance: if you live in Tenerife there is only ONE aircraft in the entire island that you could potentially rent, and they use it for PPL training…
EDDW, Germany

I’m hoping to fly down to LEAX for a few weeks in June if Covid restrictions permit and I’m fully vaccinated. Great country!

Bluebeard
EIKH, Ireland

Bluebeard wrote:

I’m hoping to fly down to LEAX for a few weeks in June if Covid restrictions permit and I’m fully vaccinated. Great country!

To LEAX in Beech? I started my PPL at LEAX. So, I would be really interested in a PIREP :)

EDMB, Germany

I’m thinking of entering Schegenland at San Sebastian; as my wife hates flying – a white knuckle passenger – anyone suggest a good quality central hotel I can dangle as an inducement? Preferably with a spa showing on its the website?!

Bluebeard
EIKH, Ireland

Place to stay at San Sebastian is hotel Maria Cristina or else Parador de Hondarribia near the airport.

Antonio
LESB, Spain
Sign in to add your message