Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

New Member - Speed from Spain

Hi fellow flyers,

My name is Speed, and I fly from Spain. I fly Saturdays and Sundays around Spain and southern Europe in a PA-28 Tubo Arrow IV that to be honest needs a cockpit upgrade. Monday to Friday I fly the F-18M for the Spanish Air Force.

Last week I took a PA-38 Tomahawk from Lanzarote to Alicante stopping at Agadir, Casablanca Tit-Melill, Tanger and Murcia. It was a nice experience flying VFR in Morocco. I intend to post a trip report soon.

If you have any questions about flying in Spain (both Peninsula and Balearic Islands) don’t hesitate to contact me. I am also open to fly with fellow pilots around Europe.

Regards

Don't get too slow
LECU, Spain

Hi Speed! Which plane do you prefer flying, the F-18 or your Turbo Arrow?

Last Edited by WhiskeyPapa at 22 Apr 13:05
Tököl LHTL

Welcome Speed !

LFOU, France

Welcome Speed !

Please share some tips on the VFR trip spain/morocco

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Welcome Speed

It’s always especially good to see a pilot from down there. There is a lot of great flying to be done there, but the pilots seem to be keeping a low profile

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Hi Speed! Which plane do you prefer flying, the F-18 or your Turbo Arrow?

I enjoy flying both of them. When I fly the jet I’m always tasked for a particular mission, that means pre-briefed manoeuvres and routes. Even when flying VFR low level, you fly following a pre-planned route. The power and manoeuvrability is of course outstanding. You never have to worry about Wx, you can climb as fast as 16000fpm above clouds, and ATC gives you directs most of the time . On the other hand, the F18 burns a lot of fuel, around 11500 for a typical 1h30m flight and the fuel capacity with two external tanks is 14000lb. Do your math and you will realize that you are most of the time in a low fuel situtation.

Flying the Arrow is enjoying aviation. I usually go at weekends to my airclub, I talk to fellow pilots, fly in other airplanes or I just fly somewhere if the weather is nice. Typically over the coastline or Ibiza (70nm). If the weather is not that good, I do hangar work or I plan for a bbq or even paella.

Welcome Speed

It’s always especially good to see a pilot from down there. There is a lot of great flying to be done there, but the pilots seem to be keeping a low profile

Unfortunately GA aviation in Spain has been dying for years, the administration simply doesn’t like it and sees it as a problem for ATC and airport managers. I hope this tendency to change in the near future but most pilots are moving to VLA and UL.

Welcome Speed !

Please share some tips on the VFR trip spain/morocco

Sure!

Welcome Speed !

Merci beaucoup!

Last Edited by speed at 22 Apr 17:58
Don't get too slow
LECU, Spain

Hola Speed,
Maybe you are interested to join us at LECD 4-7 May? See the sticky thread.. And try and convince some other Spanish pilots to come along. It would be nice to get some more on EuroGA!

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Hola Speed, bienvenido a EuroGA !

Spain is a great country to fly in – I lived there for a few years and really enjoyed the flying. Unfortunately you are correct, AENA do everything to discourage GA and lots of pilots migrate to ULs. I’ve seen this trend start already about 10 years ago. The days when the club I was flying with was happily based at LEMG are long gone….

Bienvenido!

It’s good to have more ‘flying Spaniards’ in the forum :-)

LECU - Madrid, Spain

Hi Speed,. I am visiting Spain and doing some VFR flying from Madrid Cuatro Vientos. Juste realised that there is no FIS in uncontrolled airspace in Spain. Normally how do you get traffic advice in G and E airspace? Some pilots here advised turning transponder to mode C (on) when flying VFR in uncontrolled airspace and to S (ALT) when entering controlled airspace. Is it true?

LFLI, Switzerland
21 Posts
Sign in to add your message