Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Backup for Autorouter

What would you use today?

The only options I can think of are

• A very urgent phone call to RocketRoute, with a credit card handy
  • FlightPlanPro (works only in a few countries which haven’t updated much of the airway network since development stopped c. 2015, e.g. France)
  • A phone call to one of the bizjet briefing pack outfits
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Call DFS

Seriously, there is no good backup out there for generating and filing IFR flightplans, as well as for all the briefing functions out there.

Also, from experience, autorouter has been very very reliable over the last 3 or 4 years. Therefore, empirically speaking, as with GPS, there does not seem to be a need for a backup in case of a temporary outage.

Rather, for one reason or another, autorouter might disappear completely. But even in that case, I am sure things will sort themselves out in some way.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 07 Dec 20:16
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

Rather, for one reason or another, autorouter might dispappear completely.

That is something that has had me worried, too. It is not clear what Achim’s business model is since he provides the service for free. I know that other services are using the Autorouter API — presumably for a fee — but is that enough?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Garmin Pilot?

ELLX

Garmin use the Autorouter API

There is/was a company called Aeroplus but the guy (who used to post here) vanished from here a long time ago. I vaguely recall he did some autorouting development.

There is another guy who is still here who developed an excellent tool in 2008, slightly before FlightPlanPro, and as with the later Autorouter I was a beta tester for him, but he gave up the constant chase with Eurocontrol trying to block autorouting tools, c. 2010 (back then they were protecting Jeppesen and some others).

Eurocontrol offer a rather crappy “route suggest” feature but I don’t know of any way to access it apart from FlightPlanPro and even in that it mostly doesn’t work. Also it does the route only at one level, which is daft for European flying with say an Alps crossing.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Garmin use the Autorouter API

That’s why their gramet looks so similar to the Autorouter one! I compared Gramets only 10 min apart (due to to-the-hour rounding in the autorouter Telegram bot), and found small differences, which would be unexpected to me.

ELLX

As @boscomantico wrote, the DFS Internetservice is very good to. You will get route proposals for ifr flights, and can manualy edit them, to put some directs in. I did so before the autorouter times.

EDDS , Germany

Only for Germany, however, or with at least one end in Germany. Also, many feel the days of that service are numbered, due to the staffing cost. It’s like the UK version which was shut some 10 years ago.

Administrator

Let’s not forget EuroFPL – they do also have suggested routes.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Aeroplus is still around and Aeroplus Flight Plan is still functional

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands
44 Posts
Sign in to add your message