Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Dry Fronts

From yesterday, I was planning to fly at night as it’s calm and more friendly, it was 37C deg at 5pm with barbecue and swimming pool, so decided to cancel and drink like everybody, no TS/TSRA or DS/SS on TAF at Deauville (it’s AUTO anyway), then at 8pm wind picked to 40kts with dust storm

The clue: there was a slice of 10C temperature gradient in Windy over barely 5km width, no single cloud until temperatures cooled down at 11pm

It reminded me of dry fronts and dirt storms you get in Doha or Dubai…

https://www.midilibre.fr/2022/06/19/phenomene-extreme-une-tempete-soudaine-et-violente-a-balaye-le-calvados-1-mort-et-57-blesses-ou-choques-10375719.php

Last Edited by Ibra at 20 Jun 17:20
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Looks like a pre-frontal dry line of wind. Rare but not unheard of. There was a massive system of cells west of that position, probably that is what triggered that massive line of gusts. And yea, those can be really dangerous and far away from the actual system. I recall a case where a small airplane was downed by the pre-frontal gust line while the cell was over 30 km away.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Yes a real wet frontal line was west of the dry front, it was going from Cherbourg to Glocs

I have not saved Windy screenshots but it’s interesting to see rain in one side and dry temperature line east of it

Last Edited by Ibra at 20 Jun 18:13
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

It would be interesting to look at Western France LFBH LFRI on Saturday evening/sunday morning
At LFFK at 5pm the temperature read 40°C at 6pm the car temperature guage was 47°C
There was very little temperature drop during the evening. At 11pm the lightning followed by the thunder crashed all around and continued until 4am in the morning. Some wind but not a gale and not a drop of rain.

France
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message