Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EASA and N-reg flying - still the way to go now? (merged)

Your UK exams passing will be valid for Germany. It should be no problem to find an ATO in Germany that lets you use your plane. It is frequently being done.

N-reg is probably not a bad thing for you and you will not need EASA papers if you are not a “EU based operator” for which it sounds like you have a solid case.

This is good news. I’m open to any recommended ATOs (North West Germany best, but will go anywhere).

Tököl LHTL

N-reg is probably not a bad thing for you and you will not need EASA papers if you are not a “EU based operator” for which it sounds like you have a solid case.

Exactly…

The German ATOs I’ve spoken to will not let me take the exam in my own plane.

This is never easy – an ATO has to do some paperwork to put a customer’s plane “on their fleet” for the test, so most don’t like it, but there are ones that will do it here in the UK, though perhaps not just for one flight (unless you pay them).

I did my FAA IR to JAA IR conversion at what is now called Omega Flight Training at Shoreham EGKA.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

This is never easy

It was for me. Filling out a one page form, signing it, sending it to Berne for countersignature. It took a day. But I’m not N reg (HB reg), and don’t live in germany…

LSZK, Switzerland

I have searched the forum for the answer but could not find a similar scenario, so apologies if the question was asked before.
I didn’t fly for 5 years and now trying to put myself back in the saddle, the final answer will be given during the date with my G.P this coming week. The aircraft that will be flown outside of the UK is ‘N’ reg. Piper Turbo Arrow IV, within the UK ‘G’ reg. Archer or Arrow IV.

So, I have a CAA PPL, on the back of it (14 CFR 61.75) I got my FAA PPL. When all was changed to EASA paperwork I put my old papers (CAA + FAA) in a ‘safe place’, so safe that I can’t find it. This week I went to Gatwick to verify my identity etc. so a new FAA can be issued with the EASA license details. However, this can’t be done as the CAA must see the old FAA certificate. I have contacted the FAA but it seems that the only way (even for a duplicate license) is either to fly to the USA or see one of the two DPEs who are based in the UK. Then a thought popped up.

We have to replace our 61.75 documents because the EASA license has a slightly different number yet it recognised its licences. Also, the FAA do not object for us to fly ‘N’ reg. in the UK (or any other country) with EASA documents as long as the local CAA have no objections. So the question is:

Will it be legal to fly ‘N’ reg. in any of the EASA member states with an EASA (issued in the UK) license only?

Thanks

Ben

Hi Ben,

I’m fairly sure that you can’t fly in Europe just on an EASA licence as the eu is not presently a country. You would need the 61.75 . I’ve finally got my old JAA converted to EASA and hope to sort out my 61.75 soon so that I can take my N reg aircraft abroad.

Someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly no doubt

Maybe there are too many different threads with N-reg and EASA and licence in it for any search function to make sens of it – it seems to be every other one…

Short answer – With your UK licence, you are legal to fly the N-reg in the UK (the state your licence was issued in), but not abroad. FAR 61.3 (v)

Quote(v) When operating an aircraft within a foreign country, a pilot license issued by that country may be used.

UK is a country, EASA-land isn’t.

As far as your validation issue is concerned – I am afraid the CAA are right, to get a new copy of your 61.75 certificate you need a validation by a FSDO or representative, that has been the case for a long time, the CAA can do that validation on behalf of the FAA, and if they tell you they can’t, you have to do it the expensive way.

Biggin Hill

Post #24 here details the possibility of getting the 61.75 done at the UK CAA.

I recall another thread on that point but can’t find it right now.

If they can’t do it anymore, I wonder why not?

Cobalt is right on the meaning of “issued by” in the FAR 61.3 context. With no FAA papers, you can fly an N-reg on European papers only in the airspace whose owner issued those papers so with a US issued EASA PPL, UK national PPL, UK NPPL, LAPL, you can fly an N-reg only in UK airspace.

I have the FAA Chief Counsel references for this strict 61.3 interpretation here.

Yes, there ae various similar threads on this but I suspect they are different enough to stop me merging them

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thank you guys, I thought that I clutch a straw but…
Will check next week with the CAA if they can verify me for a duplicate licence, then will jump the hoops again for the EASA based on.

We’re just about to take delivery of an aircraft and have to choose which register to put it on. I’ve been trying to read up as much as possible on the future on N Reg aircraft flown on FAA licence by EU / EASAland citizens. I’m utterly confused!

As far as I understand we’re very likely to be ok until mid-2019… from that point we’re back to more uncertainty. (Especially with the UK’s EASA membership not entirely clear post-Brexit).

The major hesitation going with the G reg is the EASA instrument rating. I’d really like to get my IR and all my research seems to suggest that the FAA IR is much simpler. I have a CAA IMC, EASA and FAA PPL.

So, the question is… Is the FAA IR so much easier and less time consuming (and the EASA IR so much harder and time consuming!) that it’s worth the risk of having to go EASA in 2 yrs?

Additionally there’s the question of the ADF. Again this doesn’t seem clear. As far as I understand you’re ok if you don’t fly procedure that require it (for both EASA and FAA)?

I should also add that I’m less concerned about the maintenance and STC difference between the FAA and EASA, even in many other circumstances it’s a big consideration.

Thanks in advanced for all your input!

Last Edited by nokicky at 14 Apr 19:07
EGTR
Sign in to add your message