Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Good books to read (aviation related)

Can anyone recommend some aviation books? Nothing technical. I've already read Propeller head, Chasing the Morning Sun and Dunge Bottom. Loved all of them! Anything similar? Amazon's 'Customers who bought this item also bought' suggests a lot of war and technical books.

Fate is the hunter

Sigh for a Merlin (Testing the Spitfire) by Alex Henshaw

First Light by Geoffrey Wellum

EGLM

Gavin Lyall: The Wrong Side of the Sky

One of my all-time favorite books.

EDDS - Stuttgart

My two favourites are already on the list - 'Fate is the hunter', and 'Sigh for a Merlin'. If we were to widen it to all things aerospace, I'd have to include Tom Wolfe's 'The Right Stuff'. I'm also enjoying Antoine de Saint Exupery's 'Vol de Nuit' though I'm only a few chapters in.

A fair amount of 'Fate is the Hunter' is set in the war, but it's not really about the war, and covers periods flying for the airlines both before and after.

I enjoyed both Flight Of A Mew Gull by Alex Henshaw which is a great adventure story and the short well told, often amusing tales in Airborne by Neil Williams. In fiction Talkdown by Brian Lecomber is well worth a read

Pierre Chenal, La dernière tempête (The Last Storm, not sure if it has ever been translated into English) - a story of two pilots caught in a severe storm and icing in a Twin Bonanza. A well-written adventure story for the non-pilot folks, a lesson in flight safety for those who fly.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

As (almost) everybody else seems to be posting non GA books as well, here comes another favorite of mine: "André Turcat - Concorde - Essais et battailles". (Don't know if there is an English translation available and it seems to be quite rare, as Amazon offers it second hand for 230Euros...)

It's about the development and test flying of one of the best and most beautiful objects ever made by humans, told by the chief test pilot of the French "half" of Concorde.

EDDS - Stuttgart

"West with the Night" by Beryl Markham. TBH, the eponymous short story is the best bit.

White Waltham EGLM, United Kingdom
140 Posts
Sign in to add your message