Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

UK GAR form discussion, and UK border police procedures

Yes, it was 12h for years but not since Jan 2021, I asked UKBF if it was a typo, they told me everything changed to be aligned for 2h outbound as it’s same for everywhere including Europe (seems like “real Brexit win”), the Special Branch 12h notice did not change though for ROI, NI, IoM, JJ, JA, JB…glad the police did not include Sandown & Scillies in this logic

The trick while ago was to land at Cherbourg and depart to Jersey: no JJ GENDEC, no outbound UK GAR, only 4h to French PAF…now, it’s 24H for PAF alone (2h GAR, no GENDEC)

The UK has very few “police designated” GA airports

Yes Southend, Cardiff, Biggin, DTV, Bournemouth the others are +100

Last Edited by Ibra at 23 Jun 06:14
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

but not since Jan 2021, I asked UKBF if it was a typo, they told me everything changed to be aligned for 2h outbound as it’s same for everywhere including Europe (seems like “real Brexit win”), the Special Branch 12h notice did not change though for ROI, NI, IoM, JJ, JA, JB

The 1st half contradicts the 2nd half. What is the GAR PN for the CI?

I have emailed the police just now.

The trick while ago was to land at Cherbourg

That still works but is useless since France implemented the 24/48hr PN at many/most of its airports, for customs/immigration, so a UK pilot gains nothing.

the others are +100

What is DTV and +100?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

GAR notice for UKBF is 2h (btw it’s written in the doc)

The notice for Police is 12h (again you don’t need to send PN to Police if using designated airport or even send GAR form, you can call them by phone, the guys who manages Kent are so chilled, I don’t recall what they were talking about)

The requirements were confusing for CTA (Common Travel Area) but that is the way it is, reading the guidance doc is not enough one need to write a flow chart for their specific airport as things depends on the 4 airport designations and 3 agencies, now it’s much easier to understand on departure: 2h to UKBF & 12h to Police

DTV: durham tees valley international

Last Edited by Ibra at 23 Jun 06:48

So this (EGKA, current AIP) cannot be right

3hrs should be 2hrs.
12hrs is also wrong; should be 2hrs.
I have just phoned them.
Of course, nobody reads the AIP

Administrator

These GAR notice requirements in the AIP have never been correct/precise. The truth is in the 10-page GAR guidance doc.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 23 Jun 13:05
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I don’t ever recall comming across one single UK AIP AD entry that had everything correct when it comes to HMRC, UKBF and Police, in/out, type of flight, departure/destination

Given that AIS is managed by NATS, I would say good luck getting these things updated, anyway Shoreham is PPR and OPS/ATC will let you one out of two GAR requirements

I just called Oxford OPS/ATC for PPR and they told me something similar

PS: I contacted SERCO for MOD site, they even requested GAR for UK internal flight !

Last Edited by Ibra at 23 Jun 13:14

Yes, the 12hr notice on Channel Islands flights is for the Police, not for UKBF.

However the reality is that in most situations, your GAR is the method by which you inform the Police (as well as UKBF). You send one form which goes to the two organisations, thus your planning is dictated by whichever of the two requires the most notice (Police, 12hrs).

If you fly to/from a Police designated airport, GARs for the Channel Islands are indeed 2hrs.

When people used to say “12 hrs for Channel Islands” they just weren’t being specific about who needed the 12hrs, but in most practical cases they were correct. Nothing has really changed in this regard.

Last Edited by Graham at 23 Jun 14:53
EGLM & EGTN

Graham wrote:

However the reality is that in most situations, your GAR is the method by which you inform the Police

Indeed, when you send GAR to NCU with 12h PN, it ticks both boxes UKBF & Police

If you ever send it with 4h PN to NCU from CI they DO come back saying it’s not enough for Police, telling them you have called Police by phone separately is enough, it’s one-way coordination apparently

Last Edited by Ibra at 23 Jun 15:23

Peter wrote:

3hrs should be 2hrs.
12hrs is also wrong; should be 2hrs.
I have just phoned them.
Of course, nobody reads the AIP

2 hours for UKBF
12 hours is for Police and set in the Terrorism Act 2000. (Schedule 7, section 12(3) if I remember correctly).

So should be 2 hours and 12 hours.
Shoreham is only designated for Customs, so not much use to you in this case.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Oh yes that old one. EGKA is not Designated for Terrorism Act 2000 which is what applies to the CTA. That came up many years ago; was a mistake in the GAR form instructions and I got a nasty 3hr “interview” (c. 2006) with particularly anally retarded policemen who simply refused to accept that their mistake on the GAR form was of any relevance

Nowadays they are much more polite.

So for the CTA, still 12 hrs from Shoreham.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message