Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Top 5 things that could knacker you up VFR touring in Europe?

spelt = Spelt, also known as dinkel wheat,[2] or hulled wheat,[2] is a hexaploid species of wheat. Spelt was an important staple in parts of Europe from the Bronze Age to medieval times; it now survives as a relict crop in Central Europe and northern Spain and has found a new market as a health food. Spelt is sometimes considered a subspecies of the closely related species common wheat (T. aestivum), in which case its botanical name is considered to be Triticum aestivum subsp. spelta.

Sorry, couldn't resist.......

Damn it 172driver you've ruined my European adventure I was hoping to further my studies in hexaploid species of wheat. Specifically, Spelt being an important staple in parts of Europe from the Bronze Age to medieval times; which now survives as a relict crop in Central Europe and northern Spain and has found a new market as a health food. Spelt is sometimes considered a subspecies of the closely related species common wheat (T. aestivum), in which case its botanical name is considered to be Triticum aestivum subsp.

Now I know all about the subject there's not much point going, well,,, I suppose I could just go anyway for a piss up.

Farm strip in Angus Scotland

I suppose I could just go anyway for a piss up

Go for it - I'm sure something could be brewed from spelt ;-)) And your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to find it and report back!

Oh one thing to consider is what you bring landside. Some of the airports you go to will have full security and things that you might normally bring flying (small tools etc) you might not be able to bring back airside if you bring them landside. So always a good idea to consider what's actually in your flight bag ;)

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Piperboy84 - UK is not member of the Schengen Treaty - so if you fly Lydd to Leverkusen ask them in EDKL whether they can provide immigrations (passport check). Or you do it in Oostende ... or Calais

EDxx, Germany

So always a good idea to consider what's actually in your flight bag ;)

Yes; a good tip.

One needs to split up one's stuff into

• what will live in the plane
  • what will be carried to the hotel on this stop
  • what will be carried to some hotel on a different stop

In general, carrying tools will be a huge hassle and some airports will simply confiscate them. If you stick to small places you can carry anything but those are less likely to have Customs. There is no easy way to check this out in advance, without knowing a local pilot or phoning a handling agent.

As an extreme example of idiocy, I got my toothpaste confiscated at Norwich, so bring more than one tube

UK is not member of the Schengen Treaty

And neither is Switzerland or Greece (both having signed it) for practical purposes.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Btw, a great place to 'check in' into Schengenland is Siegerland EDGS. If you use it for immigration, you need to call (check their website for hours), but it's totaly hassle free.

Peter, sorry, both Greece ans Switzerland are Schengen countries. NB that the Schengen agreement covers immigration but not customs which sometimes leads to confusion re Switzerland.

Peter, sorry, both Greece ans Switzerland are Schengen countries. NB that the Schengen agreement covers immigration but not customs which sometimes leads to confusion re Switzerland.

I agree they are, of course.

But neither allows transit by vehicle i.e. aircraft because they allow free movement of people but not goods.

I think we covered this here recently.

Switzerland is confusing but in essence it has to be entered and left via a "Customs" airport. I've never tested this, always using Customs airports since I always fly direct from/to the UK.

Greece is more simple (it is both EU and Schengen) so "it should just work" but they have decided to not honour the treaty they signed if you arrive in a vehicle, so again one has to use a Customs airport. The only way to enter Greece using the Schengen concession is to walk or swim. Walking is a significant theoretical challenge since Greece does not have a land border with another Schengen country, and swimming would be a significant challenge too given the shortest swim would be approx 50nm between Italy and Corfu. In reality Greece has plenty of Customs airports (due to holiday flights, etc) but very few have avgas.

I hope my geography is correct!

p.s. I have a written reply from Kithira LGKC stating that they will operate the Schengen principle, but the Greek AIP does not mention this, so one of the two is wrong. In reality again this concession would be of limited value because LGKC has no avgas, and there is very little avgas in southern Italy. Also avoiding Italy's 4-digit tax hit if stranded there, the round trip from/to the nearest other piece of Schengen-land (Slovenia) is an awesome 1500nm.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

piperboy84, don't go to LKLT - it's not very friendly to non-based aircraft, the surrounding airspace is very congested, they have stiff fines for violations of their (fairly non-trivial) noise abatement procedures, and they are often out of parking spaces. Take LKVO or LKBU instead. You can take a bus to Prague from either of them. I'm now away but plan to return to Prague in about 2 weeks, feel free to drop me a line before coming over.

On the other hand, EDKL is defintely a good choice, a very friendly field with very clear visual landmarks around it.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

One more thing (and don't laugh): I don't know your accent, but from your profile on the 'other' site you may be Scottish. As much as possible, try to lose any northern (that pretty much goes from the Watford Gap up to John o'Groats) accent. To non-Brits, northern UK accents are almost incomprehensible on the radio. As we are on the radio: UK PPLs have a habit of telling the controller their life story including that of their grandparents. Don't, you are only p*ssing them off, this is a very UK thing and you will be talking to people who are juggling you along with a whole sky full of heavy iron. Just tell them who you are, where (if not assigned a squawk) and what you want. It also really helps if you can report position in the format xx miles on the xxx radial of XYZ VOR. You'll be pleasantly surprised by the help and the service you'll get! In fact, I'm pretty sure you'll come home after an amazing trip wondering how easy it all was.

Sign in to add your message