Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Temporary Schengen "suspension" around Europe

If you are flying Belgium to Annecy (it’s a PoE with no permanent CU/PAF?), you need to PNR/PPR aerodrome operator or directly customs for ANY international flight, you won’t need any formalities when Schengen is ON but you may need them when Schengen is OFF

Article9 (non PoE) & Article12 (PoE with no permanent customs) seems to list all the legal provisions

https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/loda/id/JORFTEXT000035871810

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Article 12 seems to confirm the basis for La Rochelle’s requirement for prior notice of ALL international flights:

But if say coming from Spain I landed first at Biscarosse, and proceeded to La Rochelle, then there would be no need for PN. Not much logic is apparent in this ….

A lot of comments above are along the lines of, “I flew from X to Y and no-one objected/intervened”. That is not much use if some day you land and a helicopter with “POLICE” written on the side appears nearby.

Voters are readily provoked into xenophobic worries about the consequences of “open” borders.

Bluebeard
EIKH, Ireland

If you look at the NOTAMs for LFTF, which is non-customs and is not a border point, you’ll see

To me that pretty obviously means you can land there coming from a Schengen country, which means there’s no blanket prohibition to do so in France.

The Dijon thing is specific, the pilot ignored the AIP PNR.

Last Edited by denopa at 13 Aug 15:30
EGTF, LFTF

So, it appears, Schengen remains on paper, but some airports are (or have recently become) “prior notice” (PN).

I thought many/most airports in France are PN. Schengen never entitled you to a “zero PN”.

As to whether PN does anything, well obviously not, especially at an airport like La Rochelle which has 24/7 police and Customs and gets loads of bizjets with Russian “businessmen”

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The question, I think, one needs to ask is why there is a PN for Intra Schengen traffic at places like La Rochelle? There is no reason for one on the grounds of Customs or of immigration and in France this was tested by the FFA in the courts.
So, unless, someone is making a power grab, it can only be one of 4 reasons as far as I can see.
1) A reaction to current Covid restrictions, whatever they be at the time.
2) Some form of reaction to terrorist threats (France suffered badly from terrorist attacks a year or so ago) which has forced the government to be a little stronger at its borders.
3) The Dublin Agreement. France comes under pressure from the UK it in turn puts pressure on countries like Greece,Italy and Spain. It is much more difficult to do this at road borders and yet there is public demand that something is done about immigration especially as elections approach and Mme le Pen gains in popularity.
4) Other countries are making PN, PPR or other demands on French pilots. A tit for tat situation

If a fine or inconvenience ensues, and it has not been for any of the above 4 reasons but for the previously mentioned power grab then a letter to the FFA, AOPA, or the DGAC or perhaps the local CCI would be in order for an explanation.
Personally, I have never PPR or PN a French CAP airfield when arriving from or leaving to a Schengen country. I have of course done so, where necessary from countries outside the Schengen area eg UK. I shall perhaps need to read the AIP more carefully.

France

I believe you’re right, and it’s a combination of all these probably. I remember an interesting conversation with the Ops staff at Avignon once, when having anded from Holland, they said “oh you need to call customs”. When I pointed out it wasn’t at all a requirement, either from the law, the AIP and the Notams, they said “sure but if I were them I’d want to know”. I must admit I usually lack the patience or courage to stand my ground and make a point in these situations so I just let them pick up the phone. Customs just shrugged of course.

EGTF, LFTF

Operation & Ground staff will always ask you to use C&I exits not aeroclub exits when landing from ANY international flight in airports with airside/landside limits…

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Flew to France last Thursday to perform a wedding at Vannes LFRV, using Cherbourg LFRC for Immigration, where I had conformed to their 24 hours PPR.
Just before take-off I received this friendly (!) email.

Luckily, I was able to change at the last minute to go via Le Touquet LFAT, which only requires 2 hours PPR.

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

That’s quite an aggressive email, for what was for so many years a super nice friendly airport.

The operator eventually lost a long running battle with the local police, who – per tradition – are determined to show that an airport is somewhere for them to hang out and not anything related to aircraft.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Why did you not phone them and tell them to check their records and find that you had in fact given 24hours notice and their records were in fact incorrect?
Not that aggressive a letter. “You will be told off if you arrive at the time you have indicated.”

France
Sign in to add your message