Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EASA Basic IR (BIR) and conversions from it

dublinpilot wrote:

Can I ask why? That’s not a comment, but a genuine question!

@arj1 summed it nicely.

Simpler theory exam, totally competence based. And you might able to start flying IFR en-route before doing the other modules.
After a while it can be ‘upgraded’ to a full IR.

For me, at my stage and experience, it is the logical next step. Not planning to start doing CATIII ILS approaches any time soon anyway :-) Just having more options for longer cross country flights and the occasional cloud cover break, to decent and safe circling altitudes.

Oh, and I just need to get the Night VFR done, if I want to use the BIR at night as well.

EHLE, Netherlands

That is presumably why airline pilot students do an IR and then the CPL?

The normal integrated course has the CPL first, however this phase has a heavy component of IR training these days, including airways, holds and approaches, even though the CPL is strictly VFR with only some modest IF (radio nav tracking, limited panel).

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

And you might able to start flying IFR en-route before doing the other modules.

Are you saying you could do the general module followed by the enroute module and then can start flying enroute-IR? My interpretation was you have to complete all modules and then do the practical exam before flying (enroute)-IR??

Last Edited by Marcel at 11 Jul 18:03
LSZF Birrfeld, LFSB Basel-Mulhouse, Switzerland

Marcel wrote:

Are you saying you could do the general module followed by the enroute module and then can start flying enroute-IR? My interpretation was you have to complete all modules and then do the practical exam before flying (enroute)-IR??

No, that was the point – you can do general module, then enroute – two theory exams, two test.

EGTR

@arj1 – Could you please add some color from where you derive the possibility to fly enroute-IR without having passed all modules and the skill test? I read FCL.835 again and didn’t find out anything about “partially” executing any privileges before having completed the Basic-IR (which would surprise me as completing a module does not constitute the completion of a rating)?

Marcel wrote:

@arj1 – Could you please add some color from where you derive the possibility to fly enroute-IR without having passed all modules and the skill test? I read FCL.835 again and didn’t find out anything about “partially” executing any privileges before having completed the Basic-IR (which would surprise me as completing a module does not constitute the completion of a rating)?

@Marcel, sorry, it was in some EASA news articles, can’t find it straight away.

EGTR

ok, thx. would be great news actually…

My interpretation was you have to complete all modules and then do the practical exam before flying (enroute)-IR??

Correct. The rating is issued after all modules are completed and the test is passed. There are no partial privileges. We discussed it but couldn’t agree on a suitable compromise.

bookworm wrote:

My interpretation was you have to complete all modules and then do the practical exam before flying (enroute)-IR??

Correct. The rating is issued after all modules are completed and the test is passed. There are no partial privileges. We discussed it but couldn’t agree on a suitable compromise.

Thanks bookworm, I stand corrected…
Is that for both the theory and the practical skills?

EGTR

Is that for both the theory and the practical skills?

Yes. I know, it undermines the “modular” aspect. What’s the point of modules if you have to have them all? I think we started with the intention that it might be properly modular, but ended up with all or nothing.

Sign in to add your message