Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EASA Journey Log requirements

I enter airborne and block time for my EASA aircraft, and will almost certainly continue to do so even if I move to N-Reg or back to the states. I find the record interesting in and of itself and useful for reconciling log book entries.

I suspect that anyone who buys my plane will find the journey log fun to look at. It could add value indirectly (“well, the owner wasn’t frighten to fly it at length over water, in mountains. What cool places he visited. Maybe I should do the same and leave the circuit myself!” etc).

Last Edited by WhiskeyPapa at 14 Nov 10:48
Tököl LHTL

Obviously there is a fundamental difference between maintaining a private diary for your plane, for sentimental reasons, and the legal necessity to produce one upon demand or face potential punishment.

I think the original reason for the ICAO requirement for international flights was to allow prosecution of smugglers even if they couldn’t find the goods/people – instead they’d be prosecuted for lying in the journey logbook. That has no relevance to domestic flights.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 14 Nov 16:13

Did Barry Seal get done for logbook fudging?

Shorrick_Mk2 wrote:

Did Barry Seal get done for logbook fudging?

Naw, he got done by the CIA then whacked by the cartel for “double dipping”

Last Edited by Michael at 18 Nov 10:13
FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

It really seems incredible, but after having spent weeks finding all the latest EASA regulations I have come onto a stumbling block relating to the EASA journey log requirements.

GM1 NCO.GEN.135(a)(8) Documents, manuals and information to be carried
JOURNEY LOG OR EQUIVALENT
’Journey log or equivalent’ means that the required information may be recorded in documentation
other than a log book, such as the operational flight plan or the aircraft technical log.

I am obviously aware of what is:-
an ATS flight plan, item 9, NCO.GEN.135
an aircraft Log Book, (which we used to carry in the light aircraft, but now should stay at home)
a Technical Log (which we carried on a B737 and have in the hangar for the Piper PA-28)
and finally what many call a Plog (which I call a Navigation log or maybe it is the Operational flight Plan)

So it may seem stupid after having flown for 37 years but what exactly is the new EASA JOURNEY LOG ? does anyone have a copy to see this. Since it can not be the aircraft logbook, and since it requires less information that a full airliner style Tech Log or Operational flightplan / Nav log; I would like to clarify this.

Also can anyone clarify the difference between a Navigation Log, Plog and/ or Operational flight plan.

Meanwhile I will get stuck into my FAR’s book and see what the more normmal world of the FAA have to say about documents.

San Luis, Spain

Maybe @bookworm knows the current EASA intentions?

I have merged two “journey log” threads into this one.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I took the regulations at their word and produced a minimal spreadsheet.

I can’t see how a ramp inspector can argue with that.

The only thing I don’t know (or care) is whether the times should be blocks or airborne. I write airborne only because I don’t care and can’t imagine anyone else does.

EGKB Biggin Hill

A good summary appears on the excellent Code 7700 website.

http://code7700.com/journey_log_book.htm

EGTK Oxford

It’s an interesting site but is still just one guy’s interpretation

Also, isn’t an AMC potentially country-specific? He doesn’t say which country got that AMC. The one he has up there is from 2015 and is 175 pages.

Paragraph 11.4.3 recommends the journey log book be “retained” but doesn’t say it has to be on the aircraft. I think if you have electronic access to them you should be okay.

[EASA Acceptable Means of Compliance (AMC) to Annex III – Part-ORO] §AMC1 ORO.MLR.110]

The aircraft journey log, or equivalent, should include the following items, where applicable:

* aircraft nationality and registration,
* date,
* name(s) of crew member(s),
* duty assignments of crew member(s),
* place of departure,
* place of arrival,
* time of departure,
* time of arrival,
* hours of flight,
* nature of flight (scheduled or non-scheduled),
* incidents, observations, if any,
* signature of person in charge.

The information, or parts thereof, may be recorded in a form other than on printed paper. Accessibility, usability and reliability should be assured.
‘Journey log, or equivalent’ means that the required information may be recorded in documentation other than a log book, such as the operational flight plan or the aircraft technical log.
‘Series of flights’ means consecutive flights, which begin and end:
within a 24-hour period;
at the same aerodrome or operating site or remain within a local area specified in the operations manual; and
with the same pilot-in-command/commander of the aircraft.
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Also, isn’t an AMC potentially country-specific? He doesn’t say which country got that AMC. The one he has up there is from 2015 and is 175 pages.

No, I think it is the EASA AMC.

EGTK Oxford
Sign in to add your message