Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

German / Swiss noise-dependent landing charges / noise certificate (merged thread)

Its a farce. 55 Dba is lower than what I play my TV at.

When I flew over. I had no clue what they were talking about either. They charged me the highest level for landing about 50 Euros. The following time 30 Euros. But thanks to Achim I was able to produce an Official FAA certified Noise Certificate and the fee went down to 20 Euros. With the $ conversion at the time worked out to about $30 for landing.

KHTO, LHTL

Adam, with those 2 Garretts under your wings, the prudent thing may be to NOT actually produce a ‘noise certificate’.

But thanks to Achim I was able to produce an Official FAA certified Noise Certificate and the fee went down to 20 Euros.

That sounds very interesting to me and I would like to learn more about it.

During my last landing at Cologne (EDDK) I was asked to provide a copy of the page in the POH that states the noise levels of my Cirrus SR22. Is there an even better way than that?

Frequent travels around Europe
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

What if you come from abroad? Nobody I know have a noise certificate for their aircraft or even know where to get one. Never even heard of it.

For anyone flying a Cirrus: it’s in section 4.28 of the POH and is acceptable to German authorities.

EGSC

I think he is looking for a more affordable way. Most Cessna’s dont have that certificate so one has to be produced. However there are examples of what the noise level is for most aircraft which you are required to copy into your Noise Certificate which you fill out.

KHTO, LHTL

Adam, with those 2 Garretts under your wings, the prudent thing may be to NOT actually produce a ‘noise certificate’.

How is it measured? In flight from inside, from outside, or taxiing on the ground? If it’s the last one, then my Garrett’s will ruin me. If it’s any of the other, then it’s not that bad.

How is it measured?

See ICAO Annex 16 Chapter 6 or 10

Assuming a propeller driven airplane less than 8.6t weight with a type certificate older than 1988 and no change affecting noise afterwards, chapter 6 is relevant. You overfly the measurement microphone at 1000ft and should come out less than 80dB(A) (if over 1.5t)

LSZK, Switzerland

Chapter 6 is bad for powerful aircraft because you’re at a fixed altitude over the microphone (1000ft). Chapter 10 has a fixed distance from the takeoff point which favors loud and strong aircraft because they climb very fast.

I had a very silent 4-cylinder C172 with a special muffler and chapter 6. Now I have a noisy 6-cylinder turbo 182 without muffler and officially it is in the best noise category, just because it climbs at 1500fpm and is measured using chapter 10.

Crazy logic…

Exactly. The hopelessly overpowered Maule on my airfield that makes a hell of a lot of noise is also in the best category because it climbs very well.

More crazy logic: if you install a muffler on an old plane, you’ll have to do a new noise measurement according to chapter 10, while the old one was chapter 6, and you may well end up with a worse noise class.

I don’t know why Achims 182 falls in chapter 10. AFAIK its type certificate is from before 1988 and it still has the original propeller, engine and exhaust…

LSZK, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message