Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Best Places To See for Pilots, in Your Home Country

We need @petakas and @atmilatos to balance things out a bit

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

and yes way smaller as per boscomantico remark, but that really depends how high & fast you fly

Does it?

What I meant there, are so many preferences. Do you “need” to wake up in a hotel room, walking down to a good breakfast, or would you rather prefer waking up under a gapahuk with clear blue sky by some Reindeers sniffing around. Do you like Michelin style dinner, or simply to grill some trouts in the fire place that you caught minutes before. At Røros you can have it all, and the airfield is literally in the town.

As WWaW say, ENMO is very nice. The owner is a pilot (was my student ) and he has several lodgings you can rent.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

WingsWaterAndWheels wrote:

And I would say the Norwegian coast in general is really nice to see from airplane.

Yes, that’s my feeling. I’ve flown the coast north of Bergen many times. My approach into Honningsvag is my screen background. I also liked the route through the Brenner Pass, and the coast of Croatia too. Landing in the harbour at Split was quite an experience!

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

Three of my favourite places in Sweden:

Visingsö – ESSI. Link: http://www.jfk.nu/en/visingso/

A picturesque island in Vättern, one of Sweden’s large lakes. If you’re interested in history, culture and nature there’s lots of things to see. Bicycles can be rented at the airfield.

Stegeborg – ESVE. Link: https://www.stegeborg.se/flygfalt/

A country estate with its own airfield. There’s an old caste ruin, a nice restaurant, a marina and lots of nature to walk around in.

Visby – ESSV

On the island Gotland in the Baltic, with a well-preserved hanseatic old town. Tons of things to see and do both in the city and the island. The airport is used to visiting light GA and there is a separate apron at the aeroclub.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 12 Jun 09:49
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

In Sweden, a small airport called Brattforsheden, west of Stockholm, is well worth the stop. It’s a museum of the Swedish air defenses during WW2. When we stopped there, we were offered the opportunity to fly the Viggin simulator which is maintained operational there. Hint; it’s surprisingly hard to find from the air – on purpose!

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

Airborne_Again wrote:

Visingsö – ESSI. Link: http://www.jfk.nu/en/visingso/

A picturesque island in Vättern, one of Sweden’s large lakes. If you’re interested in history, culture and nature there’s lots of things to see. Bicycles can be rented at the airfield.

The first minute or so of this trip video from 2017 features a landing and some scenes from Visingsö.

I also liked Höganäs ESMH, which also features in the video. It’s a nice coastal airfield, has bicycles, overnight facilities, a lively atmosphere and is not far from the picturesque town of Mölle.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

As I’ve recently moved to the North of Germany and previously flown quite a few times to the Frisian islands (like many other pilots in Germany), let me describe the islands one by one. I do think they might be a bit below the radar for foreign pilots, but every one of them is worth a trip and as they are mostly very close to each other, the can even be visited in a relatively short amount of time.

All of the East-Frisian islands (the West-Frisian islands are across the border in The Netherlands and should hopefully be covered by some of the Dutch writers here ) have a very laid back atmosphere especially around their airfields. All of them, for that matter, HAVE an airfield expect for Spiekeroog.

From West to East, the first is Borkum (EDWR). It’s the only East-Frisian island with AVGAS and it has crossing runways (partially grass) and it doesn’t close for lunch, so it could be argued that it is the most accessible (by air) of the group of islands. There is a quite decent hotel Duenenhotel near the airfield. It’s larger than the other islands with car traffic and a little bit less scenic maybe than its Eastern neighbors, but still nice and has a wide variety of good restaurants and many miles of bicycle paths along the dunes.

Next is Juist (EDWJ). This island might compete with Norderney at being the most posh of the group. It has a special charm because there are no cars on the island. Taxi service is delivered via horse carriages. As the airfield is quite far from the main village, it is advisable to make use of that service, too. On the other hand, you can also walk directly on the beach from the airfield to the village, which takes about an hour. Or you can rent a bicycle at the airfield (like on most of these islands). No lunch break at the airfield during summertime. There is a decent Italian restaurant at the airfield with generally friendly staff.

Norderney (EDWY) is next. This island might compete with Juist at being the most posh of the group. I find it the most “lively” of the islands with a good crowd of people in the summer and it’s been a favorite for us so far. Best to rent a bicycle early in the morning (sold out quickly on sunny days!) at the airfield. Other options to get into town are a regular bus service or taxi or a longer walk. There is also a nice restaurant at the airfield.

The smallest of the group is Baltrum (EDWZ). At 360 m, the concrete runway may not be the longest you have flown into, but there are ample flat, green areas on either side if needed.. Everything here is small and close by, which is kind of nice, too. Probably the most laid back of the islands. The airfield enforces a lunch break of two hours during summer for noise abatement.

Then we have Langeoog (EDWL) and Wangerooge (EDWG), which are both a bit larger again and their airfields are very close to the main village, so it’s an easy short walk. On both islands, the airfield is closed during lunch break in summer and winter. Wangeroore has a hotel/restaurant nearby which I can’t comment on (never used). Langeoog has a small restaurant at the airfield, but it does not compare to the nicer ones e.g. on Juist and Norderney.

Further up North, near the Danish border, we have the North Frisian islands. Sylt (EDXW) is special in that is has a proper airport with airline traffic, customs, AVGAS, JET/A1 and might therefore lend itself to a future euroga Fly In! It used to be – and certainly to some degree still is – the getaway place where German VIPs spend a portion of their holiday and/or own a typical Sylt house. Property prices are astronomical and the Porsche vs. other car ratio is quite high. It’s a much larger island compared to any of the East-Frisian ones and has several towns and villages with their respective own style.

A bit further south is Wyk auf Föhr (EDXY). The island “feels” a bit different with lots of agriculture but also a nice beach front and town. The airfield has rather short, crossing grass runways and has an extremely friendly and welcoming atmosphere. Here it’s accepted to camp underneath your wings and the airfield crew organized several events per year IMHO, such as a big fly-in in summer.

Pellworm also has an airfield (EDHP) and I think it’s pretty laid back, but I have never been there so can’t comment much.

Finally, we have Helgoland (EDXH) as the only island not within glide range of the main land. Bring your life vests. Helgoland is special in some other ways, too: The airfield is located on a small island of its own, with a boat service to the main island. The shortest of the 6 runways is 258 meters, so after you’ve practised your short-field crosswind landings at Baltrum, fly here. Helgoland has a very peculiar, slightly Doverish cliff formation that is interesting to see even when just flying over. If you land, you can buy alcohol etc customs/tax free (apparently only until the end of 2020).

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany
27 Posts
Sign in to add your message