Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

VFR on airways in France?

Unless this has changed recently you're fine for VFR.

So based on your experiences would anyone kindly suggest a route from UK to MIMIZAN please. I would normally stop at Le Touquet to clear customs etc and then on to destination. UK outbound would be via DVR but other than that I really dont mind where I clear customs in France. It will be a weekday journey. Many thanks Alan

UK, United Kingdom

So based on your experiences would anyone kindly suggest a route from UK to MIMIZAN please. I would normally stop at Le Touquet to clear customs etc and then on to destination. UK outbound would be via DVR but other than that I really dont mind where I clear customs in France. It will be a weekday journey. Many thanks Alan

Something like this:

DPE-LGL-RONAX-TUNAX-LUTIL-POI-CGC-BMC-ENSAC

In the aircraft I fly, the difference between that route and a direct (which you can't fly anyway) is 9 minutes.

EGBP, United Kingdom

WB that is certainly a route that appears straightforward. What level would you fly this? No oxygen available so there are limits.

UK, United Kingdom

You should buy the French VFR charts (assuming you are VFR) which you will need anyway, and then the route is readily apparent.

I use the 1:1M SIA charts, available from here for €32.50. Just 2 maps for all of France, and you get a mid-life update through the post.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

WB that is certainly a route that appears straightforward. What level would you fly this? No oxygen available so there are limits.

FL65 or above should work perfectly well for this. FL65 puts you on the upper limit of a couple of restricted areas, but you don't need to be in oxygen territory to do this. Transiting France last summer we tended to be either FL65,75 or 85.

I use SkyDemon for planning and just draw in the direct route and then move the track as little as possible following the class E routes and it seems to work pretty well. The virtual radar view makes it very easy to see on a vertical profile the airspace and your/or the tracks relationship to it.

SIA charts are definitely more pleasant than the Jepp ones and depending on where you are starting from in the UK should be all you need as there is quite a bit of the South coast on those too.

EGBP, United Kingdom

I have never used an airway while flying in France and don't see why I would or should.

SE France
28 Posts
Sign in to add your message