Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cancelling a flight plan

Recently I had planned a flight abroad (VFR), so I had neatly filed a flight plan, through my CAA’s website (which I find quite well done), and called the “dispatch” afterwards to make sure they were happy with it – a very friendly person confirmed they were.

So I merrily took off, called my FIS (Brussels Information) and had the FP activated. However about half an hour into the flight I decided to cancel the flight and return to my home field. So I called the FIS with a request to cancel the flight plan. To my surprise, the FIS operator refused – well, that is to say, just like a pilot would do, he declared himself “unable”. The excuse being that only the “dispatch” office could see whom my flight plan had been sent to, so only they could cancel it; I had to call them, even if I insisted I could only do that at least half an hour later, after landing.

Frankly, I suspect the FIS operator of having rid himself of the job, having his hands quite full as always on nice days in the weekend. They can activate flight plans, surely they must technically have the ability to cancel them too?

After landing, I did call the dispatch, where again, I was greeted in all friendliness, and informed the flight plan would be closed with a “diversion”.

Any thoughts?

Last Edited by at 10 Oct 08:11
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

They can activate flight plans, surely they must technically have the ability to cancel them too?

The FIS operator is right. VFR flight plans are just messages sent to a number of recipients, identified by their AFTN or SITA address. Each recipient does not know the other recipients and therefore does not have enough information to cancel — he would need to know the list of all stations that would be interested in the cancel message.

FIS could have relayed your request to AIS of course but AIS would not do it either. When a flight plan has been opened, your flight is under surveillance and the only way to end that surveillance is to land. A cancel is only possible when the flight plan was not opened yet. The concept of “open” or “closed” only exists within the system of AIS.

The same is basically true for IFR btw but when filed via Eurocontrol, there is at least an entity/object within their system you can refer to — as long as you let them do the dissemination and follow on messages.

Welcome to the 1950s telex…

I agree one probably cannot cancel a flight plan while one is still airborne (though in France one can – reportedly – sometimes ask the last controller to “close” it when you are in sight of the destination) but this

VFR flight plans are just messages sent to a number of recipients, identified by their AFTN or SITA address. Each recipient does not know the other recipients and therefore does not have enough information to cancel — he would need to know the list of all stations that would be interested in the cancel message.

is not wholly correct, because all flight plans get copied into another database from which they can be retrieved if you go missing. That database is maintained for “national security” and whatever else, and is accessible to selected parts of the ATC network (no idea who but presumably the S&R coordination can get it).

Same with all ATC tapes – in the UK they are stored in a GCHQ warehouse at Menwith Hill, according to a posting made on a UK site where the ATCO poster immediately got reminded of the Official Secrets Act by another poster calling himself “Menwith Hill”

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

is not wholly correct, because all flight plans get copied into another database from which they can be retrieved if you go missing. That database is maintained for “national security” and whatever else, and is accessible to selected parts of the ATC network (no idea who but presumably the S&R coordination can get it).

Not generally, as I mentioned flight plans are just messages, they do not exist per se as an entity. It all depends on who sends and how you send the flight plans. If you send it via AIS, then they will do the monitoring and store the SAR portions (item 19). That is part of their obligations under ICAO. In this case, AIS is the originator and there is an AFTN message (RQS) to query the SAR details of a flight. When a flight plan is forwarded to stations, the SAR details are omitted.

If you send the flight plan directly without involving AIS, then you are the originator (whatever AFTN address you use) and you are responsible for keeping the SAR details and answering to the request message.

I tried to cancel one with a FIS unit in the air about 3 miles from home, simply because its easier than having to remember to phone the local NATS people and have them close it (I have often forgotten). But they refused, which I guess I cant argue with. Had I called the same operator by phone (if they had a phone number), I am not sure what they would have said. Back in the UK, I do know the number for the NATS flight plan people, who I know will close it hassle free. I guess its knowing who will and wont close a flight plan for you.

I tried to cancel one with a FIS unit in the air about 3 miles from home, simply because its easier than having to remember to phone the local NATS people and have them close it

It’s not “cancelling”, it’s “closing due to arrival”. Some FIS units allow you to do that in the vicinity. It used to be very liberal in Germany but some years ago DFS changed the policy and only does it when you’re in the traffic pattern and “landing is ensured”. In other countries, you have to first land.

Sorry I meant closing.

Achimha is right.
In Belgium, your active fpl will never be closed whilst still airborne. Phone only.

EBST, Belgium

There are several countries that let you close (not cancel) the FPL with the message ‘field in sight, landing assured’. Works well in Spain where often you land at a non-towered field close to a towered one. You’d be talking to Approach while descending to your destination. Examples would be LEMG for LEAX or LEZL for LEJU.

It is easy to close the fpl whilst still flying in Czech Republic and Slovakia. It is enough to say that you have the field in sight. It worked for me many times, no objections ever made by ATC.

LKHK, Czech Republic
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message