Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Emergency "How-To-Land" for passengers?

I came across an article (in German, but it links to an English video which I haven’t watched http://www.manager-magazin.de/unternehmen/artikel/so-landen-sie-ein-flugzeug-wenn-die-piloten-ausfallen-a-989664.html) and it is being discussed by a pilot group on Facebook.

As expected, the discussion is dominated by arrogant comments about how difficult it is to land a plane (why did we spend years in education when now everyone can do it?), by how these articles damage the reputation of the profession and bla bla bla. The article even says in the end, the author doesn’t take it very serious. (The video may be serious).

This is not the point of this thread, but I find it generally irritating how pilots in many forums react to news involving aviation (with the usual caveat that this obviously doesn’t apply to euroga. At any rate, Jan Olieslagers would step in and remind us not to discuss rumours and tabloid media reports ). They always seem to feel like their very special profession is not portrayed appropriately, feel their image is threatened, feel that the media is always against them etc. etc. I think they should stop whining.

But more to the point, wouldn’t it be a good idea – in a SEP, not so much a passenger jet – to have a one pager sort of “checklist” with some basic instructions for a passenger on how to get this thing down to the ground safely in case of (single) pilot incapacitation?

Obviously, this isn’t a save “get-out-of-jail” path but it could raise the CHANCES of the occupants surviving greatly, could it not?

I would put some very basic stuff on it: Explain a save minimum speed on the ASI (point of where it is, maybe with a photo), explain where the PTT is (on the yoke), note the emergency freq 121.5, and maybe some more basic stuff.

Obviously, the contra is, if you tell pax about it during the pre-flight briefing (how else should they know?), they might get unnecessarily worried. I don’t think many pax want to even consider the chance of their pilot being incapacitated (except maybe the few very rational ones).

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

I really wouldn’t expect this from a pax on their first flight. It’s too much for a pre-flight briefing. I agree they may already be anxious and there’s lots to absorb. Those who travel more frequently (eg family) should be able to use the radio, put the gear down and fly straight and level. Even knowing how to set 7700 on the transponder isn’t really needed.

While my wife/children really aren’t interested in learning to fly (even the companion course), they did ask some very pertinent questions after watching the documentary of the pax who landed the plane at Humberside when the pilot died. Knowing how to put the wheels down, use the radio and cut the power are probably the very minimum for a basic approach. Everything else can be talked through on the radio.

I’d only be hoping for a good flapless landing (one you can walk away from, but not necessarily reuse the plane) than an excellent one.

FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom

The chances of the pilot (especially of young age) totally passing out while flying are so extremely remote, I would not worry about it.

That said, depending on the type of passenger, it can be fun for them getting involved with the flight and being taught some basics of flying.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Jan Olieslagers would step in and remind us not to discuss rumours and tabloid media reports

Hm, it seems it is easier to acquire a reputation than to get red of it…

But I have often been wondering this point, especially as I cannot really be called young and will soon begin taking up some loved ones. Things I would mention are indeed 121,5 and the PTT, a speed safe for descent and landing (100-120 km/h in mine), and the nearest BIG runways. To a person with a technical mind I could tell about shutting the fuel valves just before touchdown.

Also, there is an ICAO recommendation somewhere that passengers should be briefed (before take-off?) about emergency exits, safety belts and what not – I must have the text somewhere, but I reckon it is mostly aimed at commercial air transport.

And, as bosco said, a bit of basic instruction is part of the fun anyway – if it is offered as mostly entertainment.

Last Edited by at 04 Sep 19:31
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

But more to the point, wouldn’t it be a good idea – in a SEP, not so much a passenger jet – to have a one pager sort of “checklist” with some basic instructions for a passenger on how to get this thing down to the ground safely in case of (single) pilot incapacitation?

I very much agree. I have done that sort of “training” before. Engaging the autopilot would be #1. But you still need to be able to land. One could fly an ILS with a good autopilot, in a simple way, and walk away from it.

Obviously, the contra is, if you tell pax about it during the pre-flight briefing (how else should they know?), they might get unnecessarily worried

And that is a real problem. It’s the “knowing a bit but not enough” problem. For example, my GF won’t fly with me anymore, other than trivial short trips… not because of any actual issues on any past flight but because she gradually built up a level of anxiety. This is a pity because most of my long trips were done with her.

So it’s a tricky one! I am inclined to think that you will get further in life by totally playing down any danger of flying. Obviously outright lying is unethical but … I know a number of pilots who absolutely do not discuss anything negative (including accidents) with their other half.

You have to make a judgement on this, but I don’t think you can predict how your other half is going to react years later when she realises that say a CB could exist in IMC.

Last Edited by Peter at 04 Sep 19:22
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The chances of the pilot (especially of young age) totally passing out while flying are so extremely remote, I would not worry about it.

Hmmmm…. Not so sure:

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74311

wouldn’t it be a good idea – in a SEP, not so much a passenger jet – to have a one pager sort of “checklist” with some basic instructions for a passenger on how to get this thing down to the ground safely in case of (single) pilot incapacitation?

A number of owners clubs offer Partner in Command type courses but, IMHO, the chances of a non-pilot successfully landing a plane are between Slim and None. And Slim is out of town most days.

Both my wife and daughter have done the Cirrus PIC course which concentrates on using the BRS in my Cirrus. On balance, I’d rather bet their lives on that than a “checklist” aimed at teaching someone to land an aircraft for the first time.

My £.02

EGSC

From what I have heard of the SR22 “copilot” courses, they basically show you how to fly away from a town etc and then pull the chute…

That US thread was already posted under the Hypoxia thread, but nobody really knows what happened.

Last Edited by Peter at 04 Sep 20:43
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Perhaps you should do one then………

BTW: It was me that started the Hypoxia thread. Not as a definition of what happened, but as a reminder of the importance of carrying and using a pulse oxymeter whatever the cause of that accident.

Last Edited by Jonzarno at 04 Sep 20:46
EGSC

IMHO, the chances of a non-pilot successfully landing a plane are between Slim and None. And Slim is out of town most days.

Press button and MAYDAY, Keep airspeed speed 80-100 kts in my aircraft. Don’t change radio frequency. Get low over long runway and close throttle. Even if angled into a strong crosswind, it should be survivable, with the fire service chasing the plane down the runway.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

I have made a 4 page set of instruction with pictures to use the autopilot to intercept and fly an ILS…. In writing it i realized that it would very difficult for a non-pilot without several hours of instruction and practice…..neither of which my wife has done…..in the end i decided it was too difficult… If anyone wants to see it i can email it…i would post it here but that is too difficult too!

Edit…try This

Last Edited by AnthonyQ at 04 Sep 20:59
YPJT, United Arab Emirates
43 Posts
Sign in to add your message