Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying UK to Germany - what do I need to worry about

Peter wrote:

A lot has changed since 2012 when this thread started.

I suggest a read of this. In short, from the UK you must use one of a list of Customs airports.

This changed recently although not many people are willing to risk it.

OTOH, UK pilots cannot any longer get busted for their plane not being in free circulation for EU VAT – here.

boscomantico wrote:

At German airports like EDDN, no prior contact is required or customary.

No “lunch” available at EDSB. At least not where the GAT is. Possibly at the airline terminal, but that will be airport food only. Plus, it is good mile away from the GAT.
The combination of “IFR/customs airport” and “proper lunch available” is rare in Germany, unfortunately. Mannheim could potentially qualify, but it has ridiculous restrictions for IFR ops.

I’ll have to have a read but surely places like Baden Baden is okay to clear customs and get the EU stamp?
EDSB clearly has Customs & immigration before return to UK? AD 2.3-2?

There seems to be a few restaurants on Victoria Boulevard and we’ll have 3-4 hours at the airport before flying back? IMHO if the winds are favourable I’ll fly EDDN > EGSG direct. EDDN is H24 according to AIP?

Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

OTOH, UK pilots cannot any longer get busted for their plane not being in free circulation for EU VAT

OTOH, we have discussed this, it is only true if the aircraft is treated on temporary visit, then yes definitely no need to show or prove anything for ‘UK aircraft’…However, I would be careful though with type A and type B airport, one pilot had to pay German VAT on CH aircraft with HB-reg into EDFW in 2019 (UK aircraft on N-reg or G-reg is no different now), he did not getting whatever he should have got right, this is probably history now with the new rules…

If not landing in POE get someone who speaks or write German to get the local customs to confirm? in small places better to avoid talking to fluglighters or putting C+I RMK item 18 of FPL for ATC, it’s not ATC or OPS jobs, the Zoll will get very spooky about that way of contacting them !

The list of German Zoll airports is here,

Big permanent AD,
https://www.zoll.de/DE/Fachthemen/Zoelle/Erfassung-Warenverkehr/Befoerderungspflicht/Zollstrassenzwang/liste_zollflugplaetze.html?faqCalledDoc=297082&faqCalledDoc=297080

A & B Zoll on demand airports,
https://www.zoll.de/DE/Fachthemen/Zoelle/Erfassung-Warenverkehr/Befoerderungspflicht/Zollstrassenzwang/liste_andere_verkehrsrechtlich_zugelassene_flugplaetze.html?nn=22492

Last Edited by Ibra at 07 Jun 10:13
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Check on the CV19 requirements for Germany.

UK Gov site
German Embassy

You need a store of FFP-2 masks on board for public transport / terminal entry (immigration and zoll) and evidence of fully vaccinated – booster.

Last Edited by onfinal at 07 Jun 10:43
United Kingdom

it is only true if the aircraft is treated on temporary visit,

Of course – that’s the context here.

one pilot had to pay German VAT on CH aircraft with HB-reg into EDFW in 2019 (UK aircraft on N-reg or G-reg is no different now), he did not getting whatever he should have got right, this is probably history now with the new rules…

If that is real, it is serious and needs to go into an appropriate thread where it can be discussed. The Swiss (CH-reg) angle is complicated anyway if travelling to Germany (it seems, with pilot passport angles) but that is off topic here too.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

Big permanent AD,
https://www.zoll.de/DE/Fachthemen/Zoelle/Erfassung-Warenverkehr/Befoerderungspflicht/Zollstrassenzwang/liste_zollflugplaetze.html?faqCalledDoc=297082&faqCalledDoc=297080

This is getting complicated now ;) Presume that means Nuremburg and or Baden Baden as me leaving Schengen is okay? CZ is Schengen so no problem going there and then stamp in, stamp out via DE.

EGSG, United Kingdom

That’s correct !

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

If that is real, it is serious and needs to go into an appropriate thread where it can be discussed.

It has already been discussed.

EDQH, Germany

Was a good trip. Fuss free.
Clearing customs in Baden Baden, they didn’t give a flying, in fact we rang them to come to the GAT, they didn’t care…
Police turned up though, twice before departure.

Last Edited by pilotrobbie at 16 Jun 07:20
EGSG, United Kingdom
38 Posts
Sign in to add your message