Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Need to avoid weather but can't get ATC permission

You are asking for a 30 degrees left “to avoid”.

Let’s say they are too busy so you can’t get the call in, or they don’t respond (perhaps because they don’t understand you).

Clearly you eventually have to do it, an tell them later.

Now let’s take a different scenario: you have to climb by say 1000ft to avoid the wx. Potentially that is more serious, separation-wise.

Would you still just do it, or would you try to get their attention by making a Mayday call?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Clearly you eventually have to do it, an tell them later.

Horizontal separation minima allow for quite some zig-zagging, especially with aircraft at sub-airliner speeds. And with faster aircraft, one can usually buy some time by slowing down, which you might have to do due to turbulence anyway. I don’t recall an occasion where it took longer that one, maybe two minutes to get a call in, even on first contact with London while still over the Belgian coast.

Now let’s take a different scenario: you have to climb by say 1000ft to avoid the wx.

What weather can be avoided by climbing 1000ft? At best some cloud tops, so what? It will be a little shaky, maybe a little ice. Sooner or later you will get your call in. If one minute really matters, call Mayday.

Potentially that is more serious, separation-wise.

It is! And by doing so, you might even send some TCAS equipped traffic right into the clouds that you try to avoid. Or you might trigger the TCAS in half a dozen aircraft that are holding in a stack above you (has happened at Heathrow already). Therefore really never change your altitude without permission. If you absolutely must (for “extreme” turbulence and/or severe icing), call Mayday.

Last Edited by what_next at 20 May 09:56
EDDS - Stuttgart

EDDS has it right. Never climb or descent without clearance or otherwise declare an emergency. Pan Pan will do, no need for Mayday.

Normally, other tfc will already be deviating left and right to avoid weather so ATC is expecting this. It happens that pilots turn away before announcing this,
but this is rather rare. It is acceptable when the frequency is overloaded and everybody needs to deviate…

EBST, Belgium

Pan Pan will do, no need for Mayday.

Depending where you are. In countries like Germany for example, PanPan will get you exactly nothing.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Depending where you are. In countries like Germany for example, PanPan will get you exactly nothing.

Then this should be handled immediately by the concerned authorities. Looks more important than the bmi of an atco…

EBST, Belgium

PanPan will get you exactly nothing.

It may perhaps not bring any practical help, but in the case Peter described there is no need. All that one requires is to give sufficient notice of intended action/change of route/plan/altitude, and calling PAN seems to meet that requirement precisely.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

There is an effective word for such situations: immediate. I have experianced unexpected freezing rain and requested an immediate descend. The controller knows that immediate means urgent and the situation might become an emergency which he should help to avoid. This helps.

Berlin, Germany

Then this should be handled immediately by the concerned authorities. Looks more important than the bmi of an atco…

I think it is OK the way it is handled now. But really, that Mayday vs. Pan discussion has been beaten to death on so many discussion groups already… there is no “only truth” to be found anywhere, I’m afraid.

By ICAO definition (and countries like Germany are mostly ICAO compliant), a distress call (situation where the aircraft requires immediate assistance) is prefixed: MAYDAY, MAYDAY, MAYDAY. Whereas an urgency message (situation not requiring immediate assistance) is prefixed: PAN-PAN, PAN-PAN, PAN-PAN.

Now how “not requiring immediate assistance” is processed by the controller depends on the individual, his workload, the traffic situation and a lot of other factors that have never been clearly defined. In the situation described by Peter, where a frequency is so occupied that you can’t get your request in, your PAN call will join the end of the queue. Everybody on the frequency will shut up for a brief moment while you pass your message, but after that, it will be business as usual until your turn comes. If you absolutely need to jump the queue, the magic word is “Mayday”.

In my part of the world, when you make a Pan call or say something like “we … errr … I think are about to …. err… lose an engine here…” the reply of the controler will always be “Do you wish to declare an emergency?” If you say “Negative” then he will continue to treat you like everybody else. If you reply “Affirm” you will be treated exactly as if you had called Mayday in the first place. So why the complication?

EDDS - Stuttgart

The context of my original Q was that in light GA one is usually performance limited on the operating ceiling, and often in convective situations one is only just above the tops of the cloud tops. One doesn’t want to climb higher than necessary because it burns more fuel. But if the tops start to rise, one does have to climb, because when you are right at the perf limit, getting any icing is not an option because you will go straight down into the clouds.

The important thing is that the chances of commercial traffic being anywhere near one’s level, when enroute and away from any major airport, is miniscule. They are normally another 10000ft above, at least.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I suppose in the scenario where you need to change level vertically and horizontal change isn’t possible, and it’s not possible to let the controller know due to congestion, then one option is to put 7700 into the transponder. Even if they don’t get to hear you, then they should at least see that dot on their screen before clearing someone into the same area.

EIWT Weston, Ireland
20 Posts
Sign in to add your message