Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Anyone heading to Aero Expo in Sywell (8th - 10th June)?

Topic says it all, really; am hoping to fly in Thursday morning….

EDL*, Germany

I’ll be there on Saturday.

EGSU, United Kingdom

From when I used to fly there, it was much less of a total mayhem on a weekday, and arriving before say 10am.

See also here – I wonder if we will get the pleasure of another 25 page PDF on joining procedures

It is down to 18 pages now here

I see they have contracted AeroPS, who did the incompetent Friedrichshafen slot booking

You cannot select a whole hour Maybe that time is reserved for Easyjet?

Is anyone going on Saturday? You can post in the adhoc telegram group

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I got a 10:20 slot for Saturday. Just read the joining procedures. Arrival is all done via blind calls. That will be interesting.

EGSU, United Kingdom
Arrival is all done via blind calls. That will be interesting.

As far as I see, only two calls should be made – one when leaving Pittsford Reservoir, one when on final. I agree it’s going to be interesting joining the holding pattern there, especially if you have (eg) a Cirrus SR22 and a Cub mixing it – soon, the holding pattern could spread into Leicestershire

A question for those flying in – if you’re lined up on short final to land and the person ahead is dawdling along, near the end of the 1.2km runway, can you still land if you only need (say) 140m to land? After all, normal rules of the air mean you cannot land if the runway is occupied, but I’ve seen how this works in (eg) Oshkosh, just wondering how Sywell will avoid such go arounds???

EDL*, Germany

After all, normal rules of the air mean you cannot land if the runway is occupied,

Not entirely sure at the moment, but where exactly is this actually written?

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

In the UK, you can “land after”. I do that frequently. I think I did it at Annecy the other day but only the video will show.

But for sure fast and slow won’t mix, and if the fast one takes a bigger circuit (the usual method) then a few other slow ones will jump in in front of you, forcing you to go around.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I think this has been done elsewhere before.
I may remember incorrectly, but I believe it was settled that the only ‘legal’ way to have 2 aircraft operating on the same active runway, was with full ATC who then have the ‘power’ to authorise it.
Obviously at your home small quiet strip with people organising themselves together who cares/knows.

It’s a difficult call at something like AeroExpo.
I’m interested if someone has better details.

United Kingdom

boscomantico wrote:

Not entirely sure at the moment, but where exactly is this actually written?

This document rule 10 clearly states that. Whether SERA replaced it is beyond my knowledge, I can’t see anything about it. As Sywell won’t be offering ATS services, then I’m pretty sure it will mean going around in the case of a dawdler…..

EDL*, Germany

GA_Pete wrote:

It’s a difficult call at something like AeroExpo.
I’m interested if someone has better details.

I wrote to the organisers because if you look at the briefing, they clearly state that landing on the grass runway with another aircraft on the runway is a definite no-go which meant to me that it could be possible on the hard runway – the response I got is that ATC will be actively monitoring the runways and will offer the option to land after or will ask for a go around, if they believe separation on the hard runway is compromised…..

EDL*, Germany
17 Posts
Sign in to add your message