Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What have you done with, or on your aircraft, this week-end? (3-4 June 2023)

Maybe we can make this a weekly feature… what have you done with, or on your aircraft, this week-end?

Though the idea ain’t mine (VAF), I like the concept of people showing (off ) what their activity was during the week-end. Short trip description, may be just a few lines, and maybe a couple of shots. This is usually good motivational food for people to venture further than the local patch, get their pride & joy airworthy again, or finish pounding these final rivets

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Left my base LSZF on Friday for a one nite visit (family stuff on Sunday) to the EAA Sweden fly-in in Falköping ESGK. My 3rd visit there, and I once more came to appreciate the openness and friendliness of Scandinavia
Flight time to a short “EU entry”/defuel stop at Copenhagen-Roskilde EKRK 3:56, then another 1:17 to destination, all at FL95.
Fantastic weather all the way, though flying at 3.5Kft on the 2nd leg proved surprisingly bumpy.

Around 200 aircraft graced the grounds on Saturday, and whilst there were a dozen of RVs or so, many other interesting types were on the field.

Took-off on Saturday at 4 pm for a 4:44 direct flight home. Again, with full and nice weather cooperation, though approaching my base, some scattered CUs and CBs showed up and helped in giving my steed a pre-wash

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Although this thread is more about going places I didn’t. I did some touch and goes in the DA40d
Turbulence was monstrous especially on final where one minute the aircraft seemed to just stop and a few seconds later one was riding the crest of a wave as if surfing towards the threshold. Not a cloud in the sky yet the gliders could circle for hours at around 1000’ not gaining or losing altitude. It was bizarre.
But that’s not the reason for this post. I got to chat with a visitor and son of old chum (I like to think of him that way because of our regular Saturday chats) Charles Olivier, better known in these parts as Dr Potez..He was probably the world’s leading expert on the Potez engine and built many aircraft all resembling Jodel Mascacarets, D140s, and Robin 400s. Owners of his aircraft came from all over Europe to his workshop with its own 800m (approx) grass strip. At LFFK his son was meeting, with the current owners of 1st and 2nd aircraft that Dr.Potez built. You could have been forgiven for believing that the 2 planes could have been built less than a year ago, yet they are flown all over France regularly.
Sadly, his son does not fly. As he puts it “there is something wrong with the gyroscope in his head”. However, he still builds large scale radio control models. His latest being a CAP 10 a CAP20 and a Hawker Hurricane. How many people have their own 800m runway to test their models?
OK so perhaps not as exciting as a fly in in Sweden with 200 hundred aircraft but still an interesting day and a walk down memory lane.🙂

France

Too hot and sunny in Scotland this weekend for flying during the day. May fly down to the beach (Solway coast) for a swim this evening.

Meanwhile, we’re insulating the hangar roof and walls, ready for next winter.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

@Dan great new thread, on the hamster wheel this weekend but living vicariously. Good to see an Aztruck muscling into an EAA fly in :) Technically the Apache Bug-smasher is Annex 1 and hopefully there still might be one operating in Scandinavia.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Perfect weekend!

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Spent a lot of time, and money, on upgrades. At least it was 21 degrees….all great fun though

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

I think you might be taking the “I want to increase the useful load of my plane as much as possible” a bit too far!

Derek
Stapleford (EGSG), Denham (EGLD)

Great idea for a thread!

A number of us met up in Annecy – here and I have to post pics and hopefully a movie.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Annecy is so pretty! If I recall, that’s the old jail in the middle of the river?

I took my plane splashing today, then up to the airport to check on the DHC-2 Beaver in my charge…

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada
24 Posts
Sign in to add your message